PIC16F505

For a basic application I've identified the 16F505 as a suitable micro. This is the first time I have used a flash programmable IC.

Port bits RB0 and RB1 are the ICSPDAT and ICSPCLK respectively. These lines are going to be left dedicated to programming only, I don't need them for 'normal' operation. My question is; as these IOs are not used when my code is running, can I leave them as unconnected inputs with the weak pull-ups on or should they be configured as outputs?

Thanks for any advice, Simon

Reply to
simon

Leaving them as inputs is safer than outputs - coz then it won't matter if

0v or 5V gets on them by mistake. I've just started with PICs also, using the 16F877A. Chose because it has most stuff in. But found (the hard way) that TRISE controls mode of PORTD, that low voltage programming has to be disabled to allow use of portB, and that portA is open-drain. All in the datasheet/book - grrr. And that the BANKSEL command in mpasm only does RP0. ho hum, getting there slowly. cheers, Neil
Reply to
Neil

In message , Neil writes

Good point!

Think I'll check the data sheet on this one. Thanks for the comments Neil.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Same here, I learnt the hard way (RA4 and tristE controls portD). Cost me 20 circuit boards! Use the pic 18F452 chip, no bank select problems, faster.

voltage

Reply to
timmmmayyy!