More than one audio codec on a PC mobo

Digital audio consoles are off the shelf items these days, Harris Broadcast, Wheatstone and others.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jeorg,

Wavefront Semiconductor makes the ADAT chips.

Look at AES3 / SPDIF

Don't ask me why I know, but your not the first to have this problem. :-)

Steve R.

Reply to
Jeorg's friend

Thanks, that looks very intersting. It is limited to 16 channels per stream. However, per 4.5.7.2 in this document multiple streams can be synchronized.

That one doesn't seem to have made in into the mainstream. Findchips doesn't find a single distributor which is usually bad news. But it's there, somewhere:

If this standard really establishes itself like AC97 did there should be support chips coming out of the woodwork soon.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Interesting, AES was published in 1985 but somehow must have hissed out in the consumer world. S/PDIF isn't even available on many computers (like all of mine). The chips have it but the manufacturers decided not to pipe it out. The only device I ever had with S/PDIF is the amplifier box here at my office PC which I then had to rework so it would take analog signals. AFAICT the optical TOSLINK connection method which was propagated along with S/PDIF is completely fizzled in the marketplace.

I'll have to check this out. In the end the number and most of all the availability of sound chips for the various standards will decide.

Yep, that's what I imagined :-)

But it has to be financially sane. For example, I cannot use a standard that requires super-expensive proprietary hardware.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, those will be cost effective to build a product around.

Reply to
krw

A couple of mainstream manufacturers (ie Crystal Semi) have SPDIF 7.1 Encoder/Decoders.

Steve

Reply to
Jeorg's Friend.

but

MCU

hassle than trying to get the whole windows/linux audio system to play nice with multiple channels

I don't think it will be that easy. This will be pushing something like

6MB/s (~60 Mb/s) through USB 2 or 3 continuously. Will the FT2232H handle that?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Typical stupid reply. They are an example that it IS being done.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, you post made *no* sense.

Of course there are digital mixing boards. Of *course* it can be done. Good grief. If you need to state the obvious, tell us that the sun rises in the East. It's not a solution for Joerg's problem, in any way.

Reply to
krw

AFAIK S/PDIF is very limited in the number of channels but not sure, I have to research that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

S/PDIF is quite limited. Unless you need to leave the box, it's far more complicated than needed, too. There are better solutions, even then.

Reply to
krw

It also has largely fizzled in the marketplace. You can't buy the TOSLINK stuff as easily anymore as it used to be. My PC has a chip with S/PDIF but it's not even piped out.