More bad digital TV news for Joerg?

[...]

that.

Nope, it's a bit more complicated than that. I do this stuff since >20 years. Ultrasound, but the job's the same.

Huh? It's great out here.

When I hear the freighter roar by I go to the Fedex site an hour later and whoopdidou, I know whether the PCBs made it or not. That tells me when time to get up the next day.

Ahm, well, what do you plan to do with the screen?

At church? Oh no ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You know Martin Luther would have used it. :-)

Have you ever visited Castle Church, out of curiosity?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:33:50 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

that.

Well, I have this remark:

I do not recommend to use this scaler, but an other one:

But I have not tested that one for aliasing.... Mine was just to demonstrate the need for lowpass when sub-sampling. Actually it is a nice fft and reverse fft exercise (using the wild wild west fft package).

Been there, in high and low society.

You know that in the Netherlands the largest distance is about 150km, or 100 miles. While you, if you have to go to the other site of the country, need planes.... :-)

The screen will show the VU meter, some more info. Perhaps: 'To Start Recoding Press ANY KEY'

Person wondering: Which key is the ANY KEY" ?;-)

I dunno, churches are used for many things, from refuge for armed Muslim fighters to festivities. I am sure they have some little space where somebody could sit and program. Else let them remote connect from home with ssh and program from there....

I wrote a nice temperature logging program today. Was wondering if it was freezing last night, and the max-minimum temp indication goes haywire when I run the transmitter at full power, the outside LM35 picks up the RF, cannot put a cap on it as it is all the way embedded in silicone. So, now I just look at the temp log, remotely via ssh works too, I tried.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He most certainly would have.

The Schlosskirche? Unfortunately not, I have never been in Wittenberg.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

change that.

What you mention under drawbacks (artefacts), that's where we usually start in ultrasound. And every single time we pretty much stop where we run out of multipliers or other resources.

fft package).

I don't think they do much outside the time/space domain (and in medical we rarely do either) but it is rather complicated. You can see differences between TV sets when interpolating fast moving scenes. Very important to check that thoroughly before whipping out the credit card.

miles.

Yep. I lived at the bottom slope of its highest "mountain", an eye-popping 322.5m tall.

My point was that you cannot possibly compress the screen into a 3-4cm high 19" module format. It'll break if you do that ;-)

indication

up the RF,

That doesn't work well at church. Got to do it right there. If someone wants to do an impromptu choir rehearsal and record it they can't possibly call around if anyone can fire up their PC and telnet into the Linux box. Nah, press "REC", done.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:53:02 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I was reading today that limits on cedit cards will likely be reduced too:

Jan Panteltje

l change that.

Yes a brick wall filter against the unwanted components has the effect of creating a convolution in real space with an approximation of the sinc function. This generates unwanted ringing artefacts. Hence nasty negatives and out of bound values in the IFT. Downsampling necessarily has to compromise some high frequency response to avoid generating visible spurious features on sharp edges. You have to choose carefully for optimum visual results.

You have to compromise and grade the high frequency response down a bit. Gaussian weighting exp(-k(u^2+v^2)) is a popular choice for a suitable value of k although there are better functions.

west fft package).

That is certainly true. I don't find any of the current 50Hz sets acceptable at all for fast moving sports events. The worst thing I have seen in shops was water skiing on a dark pond in bright sunlight. The sets for the most part could not handle high contrast fast dynamic changes at all and the spray pixellated in a visually offensive manner. It is not for nothing that all the demo CDs and feeds in shops are smooth panning of detailed scenes to show off the system performance to maximum advantage.

I bought a set with the 100Hz frame rate which uses more processing power but gives a much smoother image.

Amusingly last night for about the last 15 minutes the UK's flagship BBC1 programme (in my neck of the woods) was broadcast on DTV with a random soundtrack that appeared to be a live ambience mike at some football match. The bad soundtrack continued into the adverts (trailers since BBC officially doesn't have adverts). This was a little odd since the programme was about the reintroduction of the doormouse (subtitles were OK).

DTV continuity announcer wants shooting - in the good old days they would only broadcast a few seconds or tens of seconds of junk on a major channel before someone stepped in. In these digital days it is assumed to work until the phones start ringing with complaints. The analogue BBC1 broadcast was fine it was only their super new DTV signal that was screwed to blazes. No mention of it after the programme and no apology either.

Be interested to know if the fault was national or some local c*ck up in the NE.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

On Oct 28, 12:50=A0pm, Martin Brown wrote: > The "BIG BANG" conversion technique so loved by expensive management > consultants. No safety net or adequate system testing so that when it > all goes pear shaped you have to fork out for more of their over > priced "services" to undo the total mess. I guess the current > administration is not expecting to win and are leaving a time bomb for > the new lot. >

By 'Big Bang' do you mean switching all at once? It isn't all at once as we've been watching DTV since Dec '03, neary 5 years now and many of those stations (LA) were running by 2000.

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

[...]

fft package).

Luckily most stores in the US grant you the right to return stuff. Now I do not do this light-heartedly because often the returned merchandise will be destroyed which is sad in many ways. But with one small Philips TV I bought they were not willing to allow me to switch channels in the store. Back at home motion artefacts were horrible. Tried it on the PC, yuck. I returned it the next day. Packaged it very carefully, just like new. The store clerk: "Didn't you at least open it?" ... "Oh yeah, tried it for a whole hour." ... "Hmm, really? Well, then we'll have to scrap it, can't re-sell it" ... "But it's all packaged like new, I was very diligent about that" ... "Nope, it's the policy" ... How sad.

What happens a lot here: A nice Western is announced in the TV guide. Me all happy. 8:00pm approaches and some stupid horror thriller starts. Huh? Ah, we have that new channel guide menu. Click ... click. Shows the Western (_while_ the wrong movie is running!). 2nd Western announced to follow at 10:00pm. Needless to say that wasn't going to happen either and nobody bothered to type in the right title. So we have some useful technology features that are rendered useless by either incompetence at the stations or sloppy management.

If it's anything like here I am afraid nobody may bother to get to the ground of this.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I suspect it will end up as "refurbished" goods on Woot.Com, Geeks.Com, etc... or perhaps sold as part of a "return pallet" at an auction where people will then piecemeal it out on eBay. I just can't imagine that something like a fully-functional big-screen TV would actually be stuck in a landfill.

My current pet peeve with respect to sloppy management is HD radio stations syncing their analog and digital broadcasts: The radios start out in analog mode and then, if a digital signal is detected, cross-fade over to the digital signal. This is all supposed to be unnoticeable and seamless -- other than the bonus of the background noise going away once the digital signal is picked up -- but of course that's only the case is the analog and digital feeds are aligned in time. Otherwise you get an audible "stutter" during the cross-fade. :-(

I came across some guy's web site where he took measurements on a bunch of radio stations down in the California Bay area, and it was something like 2/3 that were out of spec for time alignment... and some were really gross, like >1 second apart!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It was a 19" or smaller, don't remember. Definitely not up to snuff with respect to DSP know-how and/or technology. It's sad, those used to be the old name brands. Now companies like Insignia and Vizio run circles around them.

You also observe an interesting effect with digital TV sets. The audio delays can differ and you'll hear weird room echoes if two sets of different architecture are running at the same time.

I once called a station that their audio was messed up. Guy at the other end turning on his radio. "Whoops! Sorry, thanks for letting us know."

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

west fft package).

Don't be too sad. They can't re-sell it as new, there are tough consumer laws (up to 6 months in jail in California) regarding that.

Probably they just shoved it back up on their supplier (contractually obligated to accept it for credit), who then sold it wholesale shrink-wrapped to a skid with other returned items, and it ended up at a flea market or being sold as "refurbished" at some point. There's enough markup through the chain to handle this, and if it happens too much there is something wrong with the product or how it is being sold.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

west fft package).

IMHO this one fell under the latter category. Performance was pathetic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

etc...

digital

picked

We have two different DishHD receivers, one with DVR, and one without it. If you have them both on the same channel, there is a definite 'reverb' effect between them, very noticeable delay. Sometimes, it can be a few seconds!

One big problem - voice and picture out of sync, especially on our local channels (which aren't in HD yet... :-( ) I have finally figured out that on the DVR set, if I just back it up a little bit, it get them back in sync again.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

etc...

digital

picked

2/3

That is quite weird even on our local news station. You see an insert of an interview held somewhere in D.C. The lips of the guys speaking are totally out of sync with the audio.