Moire and superconductivity

It's not my paper... it's your link. I skimmed it and was mostly confused... there are some I-V curves. (but not understanding the text, I wasn't sure what I was looking at.)

LN2 superconductors are cool.. we should certainly work on making those better.

I like beer too much. (I drink local swill, Genesee beer, not much... huh, OK just read the label. 4.5% alc./vol! I thought it was less than that... at that level why not Guinness?*

George H.

*well beer farts, I'd have to live by myself. George H.
Reply to
George Herold

There's that, there's also the number of papers that have to come out of a group of grad students, post docs and profs. (more of those than ever, new stuff cut into smaller bits.)

I'm not saying there is no progress. Semiconductors, man-made materials laid down in patterns we can choose, that's where I still see lots of progress. Moore's law is still true. But there's no Moore's law for washing machines or cars, or houses, those are mostly the same.

I heard they're going to upgrade the hydro-plant at Niagara Falls. How much better will the new one be?* (In now is one built in the 60's. Iron and copper spinning around. I know almost nothing about hydro generation, are the generators multi phase?)

George H.

*I'd have to define 'better'.

Reply to
George Herold

Virtually all high power equipment is three phase. Even minicomputers used three phase power.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

A couple of recent papers on high temperature superconductivity in the Proc eedings of the (US) National Academy of Science have emphasised that the ne w materials were found by deliberately looking for crystal structures that would support the necessary electron pairing.

Two loosely coupled layers of graphene might be worth looking at in that ki nd of study.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On the other hand, it's different from known forms of superconductivity, and provides more data for theoreticians to work into a more comprehensive theory.

It's definitely useful information, if not perhaps the breakthrough that every university publicity department wants to point to in all of their press releases.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

George Herold wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Have you looked at the double dot stuff they have been doing?

Some of the data plots look like fabric.

Google image "quantum double dot".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qhvdvl$3h9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Google quantum double dot

Not RTS, but they are down at the nanotube scales, so I am sure and ISTR seeing nanotubes in some of the fab data. There are a bunch of folks working on it at various labs around the world.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

George Herold wrote in news:6dc6adc6-7178-4b95- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Have you seen the use of organics in things like RNGs?

Purdue is doing some interesting fruit picking.

Even using DNA strands and such.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown wrote in news:qhvesj$1dv5$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Heheheh... for a second there (OK maybe a millisecond), I thought you were describing a giant XC condenser (Interociter part). :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news:61d6a7e5-c88a- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have two phones, both smart. One I use for calls, but get spam calls all the time. The other I only use for weather and data, like DLing music and movies, which I then move over to my PC. I don't make calls on it, but it still gets spam calls, just not as many.

My friend SPOKE to his doctor about bladder stuff, and less than a day later, he starts getting spam on his phone about urologists. Never looked at a site and never texted anything about it.

This behavior of these spammers should be declared as criminal.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Mike Coon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.plus.net:

Graphene is graphene. A graphene 'sheet' or 'film' is the thin stuff, but there are other applications and groupings of it.

Odd that is forms a matrix several times larger than helium atom diameters, yet a balloon coated with it will keep Helium from leaking past.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Until I get my Dick Tracy wrist mounted video phone, I am skeptical.

Why the idiots have not moved that way I do not know. Instead everyone just holds it in their hand.

I guess the DT cartoon guy just didn't have the right vision.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I inherited a wood-handle hammer that must be 60 or so years old. Works as good as a fancy modern carbon-fiber one. Beds and bathtubs and scrambled eggs are about the same as they were a century ago.

Three phase. That's was Tesla's big concept. Some people wanted Niagra to generate DC.

Of course, Tesla thought that you needed six wires, two for each phase, to connect a generator to a motor.

lunatic fringe electronics

Replacing the blades in a Kaplan turbine with modern shapes increase output by 2-6 percent.

When there is a big refurbishing project, drag in water channels is often reduced, possible gear boxes are eliminated and in the end the output may increase by 20-30 %.

Wasn't Niagara Falls originally two phase (90 degree phase shift) ? This requires four wires or two thinner phase conductors and nearly double as thick neutral conductor.

In three phase systems, three thin phase conductors are only needed but no neutral conductor (delta connection).

Reply to
upsidedown

I have a flip phone that's just a telephone; no texting, no voice messaging, nothing. I get maybe one spam phone call a week.

I recharge it maybe every two weeks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you only charge it once in two weeks, you can't be using it much. They can lower current at idle, but they can't reduce the transmit power much.

If you don't use it, why have it? Or are you exaggerating the run time?

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I think I can make a case that washing machines and coffee makers are worse than in the near past.

Three phase is the only induction motor that is easy to understand. I guess it's mostly the same for a generator. (but backwards.. is there some battery/ power supply to help get it started as a generator?)

Well six seems fine by me... if your'e trying something for the first time it's good to 'cover your ass'.. make sure it works.

As a kid we had HO scale slot cars with DC 'pancake' motors. They had three windings on the rotor...(with arcy sparky switching, ozone and light machine oil was the smell of fun. :^) and permanent magnets, you could see and feel how it worked.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I believe him. My trusty old Nokia dumb phone would go about two weeks on a charge. I didn't have it clamped permanently to my head like some do but it would last that long with reasonable call usage and even longer in standby mode and/or in cities where the signal was stronger.

When I dropped it in a bucket of water by accident it stopped working and I got a Moto G3 based on it having the best battery life of any smart phone available at the time. It would last about 7 days normal use when new - down to about 3 days now with an elderly battery.

My wife's new iPhone X requires a recharge every single day (as did its

6 series predecessor). Usage profile on both phones broadly similar.

Hers gets a bit more hammer on Google maps and mobile data.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I was looking at new cars and was told they are not pushing the in car navi gators now. They let you tie your cell phone into the console. I guess th ey have an app that works with the phone app to display a map.

I wonder what happens when cell coverage is lost? That happens often where I roam. Not for long times, but more than a minute.

I don't use my phone a lot either. A quick scan of talk times show they ha ve improved for flip phones over the years. Mine have never gone a full we ek, but I see phones now with up to 9 hours talk time. I got a new flip p hone for a friend after his was cut off due to being too old. The new one has a larger screen that he might actually be able to read the time on (he' s legally blind). It has lots of smart phone features it seems, not that t hey will do him much good. Very few products work for the blind even when they could be made so.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I don't know about in the US but in the UK Google maps has real time traffic info and completely up to date maps. You can tell who is using it by where they turn off and follow an unofficial diversion.

GPS and the map segments already loaded continue to work although sometimes it can place you in a field parallel to the road for a while if the satellites don't give a precise enough fix. No mobile signal zones here are at most a few minutes in a car. The cars DAB radio drops out a lot more often (it is very badly implemented in the UK).

You sometimes see abrupt changes of speed limit on motorways when going over or under a road bridge. I have mine set only to reroute if more than 15 minutes can be saved from the default initial journey plan.

For blind people phones with real buttons and braille on the keys are pretty much the only sane option. Using a smart touch screen with no tactile feedback is nigh on impossible if you cannot see the layout.

On the plus side now with voice recognition so good they can say "Alexa/Siri phone Fred" or "turn on the TV".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown