Modern Wall Wart Behavior

I assume that there's some UL requirement (or desirement) that says that a wall wart shouldn't burst into flame if you plug it into a dead short. I know that older wall warts were generally fairly robust to that sort of folderol -- they had enough inherent current limiting through CCD (Carefully Crappy Design) that they'd just run a little extra warm.

But what do the newer, slim, sexy, switching wall warts do? Do they gracefully drop voltage when you pull more than the rated current? Blow a fuse? Burst into flame?

I'm kinda curious to know -- it'll save me buying a bunch of 'em and experimenting...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Class 2, IIRC. UL 1310/CSA 22.2 (but check for yourself). AFAIUI, they can be impedance-limited, or burn out through an internal non-replacable fuse, or self-fusing transformer winding, just not burst into flames (or expose voltage through a hole burned in the case or whatever).

The ones I've seen just current-limit nicely, and restart once the short is removed. I'm sure it's a UL requirement that they behave safely, but I can't quote chapter on verse the requirements for AC adapters. Failing instantly is also safe, and I doubt UL/CSA care one way or the other (but your customers might). Maybe you've got a library nearby with the standards?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nothing happens. Switching walwarts typically have a current mode flyback topology. That makes them power limited.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Tim Wescott Inscribed thus:

All the ones that I've abused simply turn off ! Sometimes they don't turn back on...

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Seems like that latest game is severe foldback... one on my Sony IR-link headphones loses power, unplug, replug, back on-line. ...Jim Thompson

The larger ones we use have fold-back current limiting. I haven't tested the ones that are small enough to ignore (

Reply to
krw

"Tim Wescott"

** AC power adaptors are closely controlled devices in most of the world - see all the badges and logos on them, like a good boy scout. They must pass all the class 2 requirements that apply to low voltage transformers - which includes all degrees of overload up to a dead short WITHOUT failing in same dangerous way.

The most common protection is a thermal fuse in the primary of the transformer that opens if the winding ever becomes too hot. Low powered adaptors may simply rely on leakage reactance to limit current flow to a safe value when the output is shorted.

Some even have a fuse link in the output line.

** Course not.

But most of them scare me and are inherently far less safe than the transformer kind.

There is no requirement to * properly insulate* live parts from the low voltage circuitry - sure there are specified gaps on the PCB of a few mm but this does not preclude events like a leaking or exploding electro from bridging that tiny gap with conductive fluid or foil and so rendering the output live.

No tests are done to establish end of life failure or other failure mechanisms which may result in over-voltage conditions and hence electros exploding.

Also, for EMC reasons, a small ( class Y) cap is often fitted between the live side and the output ground. Experience says that the cap used may or may not be of the required special type and so could fail short.

They are almost all made in China and if that does not worry you, it should.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Excellent info of which I was completely unaware. Thanks for that.

John

Reply to
John S

** Get a small, Chinese made SMPS plug in adaptor and open it up.

See if you agree that if an insulating coating were placed over the opto and all live tracks, the design would then comply with the spirit of " double insulation " and not just the letter of the law.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I tried a duplicate of my current cellphone charger, and it appears to me to roughly regulate some linear combination of voltage and current. And, when hit by a load that is close to a short (around/under half an ohm), it goes into "hiccup mode" - only attempting to supply power at some low duty cycle.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to

Except for some off-brand cellphone chargers. I even complained to Target at a time they sold a couple that had no badges/logos.

What about ones that don't have any logos/badges?

I don't worry about ones with logos/badges and sold by the millions by major name companies that class-action lawyers have lust for.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

** What goes on in you neck of the woods is your problem.

The crazy situation re agency approvals in the USA is one reason I used the word " most ".

** What goes on in you neck of the woods is your problem.

The crazy situation re agency approvals in the USA is one reason I used the word " most ".

** You are totally insane.

Having agency approval gives the maker or supplier near immunity from prosecution for lack of safety in the design.

That unsafe things carry such approvals is a BIG worry.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

SNIP

Logos/badges on products are just that, logos and badges. I don't rely on them. Certainly in the 90s products had various safety marks added without the benefit of any testing. If safety is an issue always check the safety certification. UL is easy, just get the UL file number and check online.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

What.. Phil.. you mean you wouldn't sit in a bathtub full of warm salt water and grab onto the barrel of a powered AC adapter plug?

I'm shocked, so to speak.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany