Mixed RAM Sizes

Probably a dumb question, but...

In one of my PC's I have two 512MB sticks, and two empty slots.

I have some 256MB sticks of the same speed rating.

Can I place these in slots 3 & 4, or do all 4 slots have to use the same size?

...Jim Thompson

In general you can mix and match sizes.

Specific motherboards will occasionally balk at this, but you really are

*supposed* to be able to do it. Try it out!

There are also various specific (crap) motherboards that don't reliably support having memory in all four sockets. This has probably been all hammered out by now, but I a motherboard in years past where they actually went back and put stickers over the 4th socket telling you not to use it, since electrically the loading had become large enough that the signal integrity became marginal.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

In a HP desktop machine that I used at work (if I remember well) there were

4 slots divided into 2 groups. The memory sticks belonging to the same group should be of equal size. You should better look up the manual of your PC motherboard

Regards, GM

Reply to
GM

Do you have the manual for the motherboard? If not, then download Belarc "Advisor" to see the brand and model number so you can look for it online:

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You probably can. There should be documentation with the motherboard that spells out how to do it. Where there are restrictions, they usually want the bigger sizes in the lower number slots.

Newsgroups
default