Mine Detector

I'd get the guys/PHBs who designed the mines to collect them

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I know, at least it would be a start

martin

Reply to
martin griffith
[snip]

And politically better off for it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That must have happened to a number of our s.e.d. denizens.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Here's a thought: Take a look at the variety of detonators typically used in mines. There are probably a few popular ones, based on stuff like fulminate of mercury or various nitrogen compounds. Next, investigate the possibility of exciting these molecules with suitably tuned microwaves similar to the way microwave ovens are tuned to excite water molecules. Then, just fly over the area with suitably tuned and focused microwave emitters and 'cook off' the fuses.

This won't work for well shielded detonators, but the shielding will make them easier to pick up with conventional metal detecting techniques.

The opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. All
rights
reserved. Void where prohibited. For external use only. Standard
disclaimers
apply. If irritation, rash or swelling occurs, discontinue use
immediately
and consult a physician.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Then there was the soldier who had the whole left side of his body blown away.

He's all right now. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Simple,

Get the guys responsible to show you a map of where they laid them. If they cannot, then they get to go and "detect" them.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Don't you mean terror-ah-hurts?

Reply to
Robert Baer

prisoners

the

Give them free volka in magnetic bottles, if the drink enough, they'll be tanked

And the bottles take care of the magnetic problem Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

I doubt he's all right. Nevertheless, injuring solders is also a main aim of personell mines. They don't read the flag before explosion though.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

It was a play on words. Since he has no left left, all that's left is right, ergo, he's all right.

Get it? You may groan now.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

LOL

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

In article , Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote: [...]

Imagine the but end of a 22 round. The most common type of land mine uses a thing that looks a little like that. The brass would act as an RF shield. The 22 shell like thing in in the center of the mine.

The top of the mine is a plastic disk that is bowed upwards to look like a shallow dome. If you press down on this disk, it suddenly snaps down. When it snaps down, the firing pin in it center bangs down and sets the thing off.

The whole mine is about the size and shape of a small pet (cat) food can.

The bigger ones intended for antitank use, often have electronics in them that you may be able to effect with micowaves.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith