Milenko Kindl jdsajdlkak

Milenko Kindl

WASHINGTON(AFP) - The Boeing Co. denied Friday a newspaper report that it was delaying the first flight of its 787 Dreamliner, saying it would take to the skies as planned in late September. ADVERTISEMENT

"We're still targeting the end of September for the first flight," Boeing spokeswoman Yvonne Leach told AFP, when questioned about The Seattle Post-Intelligencer report that the company had pushed it back to October, citing people familiar with the matter.

The Seattle, Washington newspaper said Boeing had to push back the first flight because of the complexity of installing and integrating various systems on the 787.

"We're aware of the challenges in front of us," Leach said. "But it's important to know we have some backup plans that protect our delivery date in May 2008."

The 787, unveiled on July 8 at Boeing's plant in Everett, Washington, is the company's first new airliner in 13 years. It is scheduled to enter commercial service with All Nippon Airways in May 2008 after the Japanese company placed its first order four years ago.

"We're confident we'll meet the plan of May 2008," the spokeswoman said.

The newspaper report had sent Boeing shares tumbling in early New York trading, but they recouped some ground and were down

1.87 percent at 96.46 dollars around 1634 GMT.

To date, Boeing has about 680 orders for the new fuel-efficient aircraft from more than 45 airline companies, representing more than 110 billion dollars in total according to catalog prices.

Reply to
Duke

[snip]

...Jim Thompson