Microprocessor Trainer

Hello,

I am wanting to design upgrades for the Commodore 64 and eventually the Amiga. There doesn't seem to be any 6502 based microprocessor trainers available today, and the 68000 ones seem to expensive.

What's a good trainer to start with?

I like this one:

It's made by Elenco and can be purchased cheaper elsewhere:

What I really like about this Elenco one is that you build each section one at a time and run excersizes along the way. No other I know of works this way and I really like that idea, not to mention it's cheap which is kind of a requirement. :)

I hear the 8085 is obsolete, but so is the 6502.. So is this a good one to start with or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Watt

Oh and I really like this one too:

Lots of upgrade options and still very good price if you build it yourself. But, I don't think you "learn as you build".

Reply to
Tom Watt

Hi Tom,

It's kind of hard to answer your question because I don't know where you're at, what you need.

Do you know digital electronics? Do you understand microprocessor architecture? Do you understand how a microprocessor works?

What 'training' are you interested in, Hardware or Software?

The architecture and addressing modes in the 6502 are very different than the 8080 family processors (8085 etc.)

I believe more in learning than training.

Read. Learn, Do. If not successful then LOOP.

I 'taught' myself microcomputers that way 30 years ago and microcontrollers a couple years back.

If I wanted to design upgrades for a '64' then I'd buy a '64', an assembler (or 'C' compiler) and build or buy an interface card to plug into the 64's 'expansion connector'.

I'd then probably then search the net for '64' applications. (Hardware and software) and find some '64' groups.

Read, Learn, Do.

There's a ton of info and accessories out there for the '64'

Jay

Reply to
HappyHobit

I understand the Pentium 4 will execute the 8085... no, I'm thinking 8086, never mind...

Here's a blast from the past, the original 6502 'trainer' board:

Warning, it doesn't work, it may be just that Zener at the connector but there's no way to be sure (this is really a collector's item at least as much as a piece of electronics). The 6502 proccesor chip should be easy enough to get, but I'd worry about replacing those two 40-pin peripheral/ROM chips...

-----

Ben Bradley