MicroChip Sucks!!

I bought a PICKit2 and a PICKit3 from MicroChip direct. The day the order came in the PICKit2 worked great but the PICKit3 was very flaky, it would somewhat work when you held pressure on it. Anyway, after a week or so with support.microchip.com they sent me a new PICshit3 board, the new one wouldn't even connect at all, not once. They marked my support "ticket" as closed and I am expected to pay shipping to send their bad board back to them. The PICKit2 works great, not one problem, my original PICKit3 is flaky, works sometimes, the replacement PICKit3 wouldn't even connect properly one time, it is detected and passes the self test, but won't connect. They send out junk and expect the customer to pay to return, buyer beware!

Anyway, thanks to David L Jones's review for letting me know that the PICKit2 was better, at least I got something that works. I have a few interesting designs in the works, I hope I have better luck with Atmel microcontrollers.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

You sure your name isn't SkyBuck?

Sorry... you didn't deserve that... hehehe

You should have them send you another before you even send that one back. Just like the big hard drive makers. They should have no problem forwarding one to you, considering that they cannot even get one off their shelf that functions out of the box.

One would think that they would have verified the one they sent you as a replacement... Company image at stake and such.

Wow. Pretty surprising. They should help you resolve it. Talk to a new person, and mention that the old person exercised a bit of premature termination of that previous ticket, and maybe they'll adjust his manner of "service".

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

If you are using the USB type interface, you may need to go in and set the power settings for that port!.. Some systems drop the USB power until it thinks it is needed.

Not all USB installs allow for this power setting how ever, if it does, you need to instruct it to at high level indefinitely.

On the note of serial ports, some USB -RS232 just doe not supply the correct voltage levels and those that don't, some of them have bad support for emulating a real port. I have 2 USB-232's that work fine, and 2 others, that just does not work correctly with a few things, the Pic programmer being one of them. So, to whom, do you apply the blame too ? One reason I went out of my way and paid extra for a Laptop with a real serial port. "Toshiba Satellite Pro Tecra" Like that one.. A real mans lap top/!

They're are others like the Panasonic tough books, but be repaired to pay! Or, get a real card in your PC.. It makes all the difference!

Have a good day.

Reply to
Jamie