mic preamp modification

You're very welcome.

If the thread dies up, you can actually email me at my posted address ! Yes I know it looks silly - but it keeps the spammers away whilst offering a simple solution to the problem !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ahhh - no. It actually probably went high impedance !

Formal noise tests are always done with the resistor. Pure and simple. :-)

I'm curious about that. He may possibly be simply replacing the input transistors. Takes a few minutes to do that !

Without seeing the unit I'm at a disadvantage. Are you familiar with the 'conventional' leaded TO-92 package ? If there aren't any in the mic amp then I reckon I know what's going on.

That's really not a good solution is it ?

Regds, Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Fred Bloggs" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com...

was obviously not a consideration.

There was an error budget for channel to channel coupling, and that assembly had only a small portion of it, and easily met its obligations in that regard.

I was one of the reviewers for that design, and that was one of my concerns as well. But some simple calculations from datasheet coupling performance numbers and the circuit imedances were sufficient to alleviate those concerns. The guy had already done them and verified their applicability in the lab.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:58:13 GMT, rex put finger to keyboard and composed:

6.2V zener? Any circuit references, eg Dnnn, Znnn, Qnnn?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

transistors.

Nevermind about the transistors. I opened it up again and they are not transistors. Frank's instincts were right. Two of the three device pins are connected together so they are diodes of some kind.

I'm going to see if I can learn anything about where the mic inputs go before I close it up, but right now I don't see any transistors at the input. I'm beginning to wonder if there are components on the bottom of the board.

Oh, I did get it a little further opened up and found the other information printed on the caps. They are Elna 63V 10u.

Reply to
rex

I read in sci.electronics.design that Erik Walthinsen wrote (in ) about 'mic preamp modification', on Fri, 8 Apr 2005:

Which three classes do you have in mind?

There is 'phase-control, turn on' - this is the oldest electronic technology and uses triacs of thyristors as the control elements. It can cause lamp buzz and audio interference.

There is 'phase-control, turn off', which is fairly new and uses IGBTs as the control elements. It does not cause lamp buzz but can cause audio interference.

There is 'sine-wave dimming', which is a PWM technique. It does not cause lamp buzz and is claimed not to cause audio interference, but I suspect you can't completely ignore the possibility and use the wrong sort of audio cables and poor installation techniques.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

was obviously not a consideration.

Yep.

It was one digit up or down from that. If you care enough to look at a datasheet, either one should suffice to determine which is the 8:1 mux.

I used the same part for part of an RF calibration subsystem used to fine tune gains in that phase array ultrasound system. Its isolation was a significant issue in that application also.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

was obviously not a consideration.

Yeah- sure- which 4052 part are you talking about?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That seems to cover it AFAICT, extrapolating from the various marketing materials I've seen. The D2/D4DMX internally have a single inductor and single TO-220 package, plus misc bits, per channel. Haven't checked what the TO-220 actually is, I'll have to do that sometime soon. It definitely causes lamp buzz however, so it's almost certainly in the first category ;-(

The trick will be to figure out if there are any current products out there with prices we can handle, that use sine-wave dimming. Or, we take some steps to isolate things properly. Problem is, the current audio runs are decent wire but are exposed runs in the attic of the building which is the same space we'd probably be putting the dimmer packs. Depending on what the mains and dimmer-channel installation is we might be able to cluster the packs inside a grounded cage or two, and with metal-clad cable as required by code, keep most of the noise contained.

Reply to
Erik Walthinsen

Terminology keeps changing! :-( What is "phantom power"?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Hello Graham,

What I do is take a through-hole cap that's slim yet big enough to fit into my fingers. Then I leave 1/3" or so of wire on the probe side, or whatever is enough to be able to touch the SMT part pins. I use really old wire cutters for that which results in a sharp edge or I file it into a point contact.

The other thing to make sure is that the outside foil is on the ground side so the finger doesn't introduce noise. Most important is to always discharge the cap before moving on to the next pin, especially if the circuitry is somewhat unchartered. Else.....bzzzt... foomph...pop.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It's not new terminology.

Good quality condenser mics contain amplifiers and require DC to operate. Phantom power is usually about 48 Vdc and is injected common mode down the balanced signal lines of an XLR cable. Usually limited and isolated from the signal by running it through 6.8K to each of the lines.

Reply to
rex

Hello Ted,

Audio speak for a voltage riding on the line going from amp to mike, to supply electret mikes and the like. 48V most of the time, I believe, and low current.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

transistors.

I pulled my recorder almost completely apart and got the main board out. It has lots of components on both sides. I traced the mic input circuits for one channel and have posted it as 'mic preamp' in ABSE. snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

I think it is complete as far as I went. The first active device is one of the op amps. The hot and cold sides of the XLR input have symetrical circuitry so the one diagram shows both. There are some more comments in the ABSE message.

I'd appreciate any comments on what you think of this circuit and how I might get it working cleaner.

Reply to
rex

Hello Rex,

Maybe it's just me but I cannot see the attached file in this ABSE post.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I suspect this design is not going to get high marks.

I was just sitting here looking at what I drew and thought, "why is that

220K resistor in parallel with the 2.4K divider?" I went back and double checked that board in that area, and I can't see any mistake I made in drawing it.
Reply to
rex

Sorry, when you post text and graphics there it splits it into two messages with the same subject. I linked the text part, here is the image part...

Reply to
rex

Hello Rex,

Still can't see it. It could be my ISP though. With most posts I can see the attached files in a.b.s.e. but then there are a few where I can't.

If you think I might be of help just email it to jsc (the domain below in my signature line).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Erik,

That is tough. If you walk through a hardware store they have a wide spread of dimming products in terms of pricing. But I never saw any hints as to technology, except for "this one buzzes less" or so.

Did you run differentially? If not, Radio Shack has "ground loop isolators" which seem to be little audio xfmrs at around $17 for a two-channel. Not too bad. Muxlabs has high quality ones but they may also cost more.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

A lot of ISPs don't carry the binaries group referenced.

Here is a link to an ftp place I have with the same two text and gif files... ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/rexa/Preamp/

Hope that works for you and thanks for contributing.

Reply to
rex