digital controlled mic amp

Why does it look "messy" to you? Looks pretty much de rigueur if you want digital control of a rather sensitive analog circuit (like a mic preamp).

Using the extra mic transfomer winding in the feedback circuit (presumably to adjust gain) is a new one on me.

OTOH, as Mr. Bear suggested, TI makes a replacement which is monolithic and perhaps better performing also.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

This is a Studer mic amp

I just dont know if I like it. It looks messy. Or am I missing out on a great innovative design

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Just use TI's PGA2500.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It only looks messy if you do not understand the circuit.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

I was trying to work out the disadvantages/advantages of running a mic transformer into a virtual earth.with the i/p z deterimed by r134 or R142. That doesnt look like a quiet solution. I havent seen this done on a mic amp before. It might mean that you can get away with having a small(cheaper) transformer.

I'd normally go with Mr Bears sugg. of a pga2500, but that doesnt quite have the headroom of a 5534

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

That puzzled me too. Maybe it's a whacky configuration I didn't fathom straight away.

Inverting configurations are indeed invariably noisy and I wonder what kind of load it presents tothe mic.

Stick a 10dB gain stage after the PGA2500. That'll resore the headroom. Shame though. Best they could do with 5V supplies.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks, thats a bit clearer, I'll do a bit more head scratching

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

"martin griffith" "Ban"

** You do not understand the circuit - it ain't no virtual earth to the tranny.

The secondary is being used in "feedback input " mode - ie the signal is introduced between the negative input of the op-amp and the reference point of the feedback network. This allows the positive input to be grounded and eliminates common mode input signal.

Can only be used with a floating signal source, ie from a tranny or a phono cartridge with modified leads.

Reply to
Phil Allison