Measuring microwave wattage

Your magnetron is practically unkillable. It's more likely to be the "doser" that's failed. I've got a few microwaves working for myself at a bit better than their plated certification by just removing the doser and letting the mag run free. There's no real danger because the enclosure is complete, or rather it should be. The only failure I've had so far was a Fagor combined oven/microwave that leaked so badly afterwards that an ordinary multimeter needle rocked over to full deflection and back in synch with the test load rotating on the turntable. It probably leaked before it received my ministrations, but it went to the local recycling centre anyway. Incidentally, I wouldn't have thought that an ordinary multimeter (with no leads attached) could detect microwave leakage with the output being in the Gigs. It must be down to harmonics or some unexpected effect within the diode or something, but you could try that yourself. The deflection was still 100% right across the room (on any volt range AC or DC) and was very directional. It left me wondering how many people impatient for their soup in the works canteen at lunchtime or whatever hover about right in front of many leaky microwaves getting a powerful beam through their stomachs.

Time will tell.

Des.

Reply to
Des

Yes. This is exactly how I feel about sloppy writing in English when it is written by native English speakers.

If commas are misplaced, or apostrophes are used incorrectly, it forces me to go back and re-read part of the text. This sends the message that the writer's time is important, but the reader's time is not. Some spelling mistakes can also be confusing.

You're written English is fairly clear, by the way.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

^^^^^^^ irony?

John

I wish.

Hopefully, since we are indented so many levels in a thread which has shifted far from its original topic, very few people will notice.

;-)

Anyway, I apologize. And I'm very embarrassed.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

I don't type or spell very well, especially in a newsgroup, and occasionally somebody will criticize me about it. And most of the time, *their* whiney post has a error or three.

Maybe it's like shifting your car: when you're thinking about it, you're more likely to miss a shift.

John

That would be the most accurate translation. It's not a word to word translation, but it fits perfectly in the context.

Reply to
OBones

Yes, a bunch of old (crazy) folks that can't understand a thing about computers and decided to translate a bunch of stuff. For instance:

CDROM is cédérom WiFi is ASFI (Accès Sans Fil à Internet, wireless access to Internet, nothing in common with WiFi)

But thing is, no one uses that crap, it's just not practical.

Reply to
OBones

Onosecond: the minute interval of time between when you click "send" and when you realize you've made a huge mistake.

John

These things do upset my reading (there, their, and they're throw me off completely), but I do the same. ...usually because I edit too much and then don't proof everything. "Hey, I've read it a hundred times now, it must be perfect." ...until I read what I wrote the next day. :-(

--
  Keith
Reply to

It is a diode in there picking up the radiation and rectifying it to DC, which is what the meter reads, assuming it is an analog meter. If it is one of the newer digital jobs, you are probably seeing the electronics getting hosed by rectified radiation.

What is the doser?

Reply to
John McHarry

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you CAN make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - - that's all.'

John

For example, "Thank you, dear."

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.