Maxim Semi Deliveries

I liked the accessibility to someone with techological savvy and their 'stop by pick up a sample' attitude.

Also, you could tell the designs were EXTREMELY well done from the standpoint that they performed the way 'expected' *and* according to spec. In contrast, one RCA OpAmp I tried to use was fast enough, but its gain pulling up on the load was different than the gain pulling down on the load! Although in spec, you can't imagine the grief that can do to your very tricky, nonlinear closed loop response. I found LTC, not only went more than fast enough with stability, but somehow they had managed to design the product with incredible symmetry, going up identically to going down, not approx, I swear IDENTICAL! and high speed!!! Somebody knows their stuff over there.

Reply to
Robert Macy

You do a post and you don't give the part number?

Reply to
miso

Do I have to? :-) To satisfy your curiosity: its the MAX4447

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Oh, right.

It wouldn't have quite accurately half the gain you expected? Like within 2% or so?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

(the Arcor news server is unwilling to give me Nico's post)

Ouch! Finally, after 13 years, someone discovers this.

Have you seen that the part is single-ended-to-differential and that Vout is clearly described as Vout+ - Vout- under "conditions"? Some people DO have differential probes.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

There's a reason for the "Incoming Inspection Dept"

Reply to
Robert Macy

I like the LTZ1000 datasheet:

"For applications not requiring the extreme precision or the low noise of the LTZ1000, Linear Technology makes a broad line of voltage references. [...] Only applications requiring the very low noise or low drift with time of the LTZ1000 should use this device"

It's like, it would be an *insult* to use this part in an application that does not deserve it!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I clearly recall it has half the specified gain. It has been years since then so don't ask me about the exact details :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Maybe they don't want to deal with the support calls from people who can't get it to meet specifications.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

True, it is an awkward beast. Still the king of references though, after all this time (decades).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Great part, though. I have about half a dozen in the drawer.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hmm, curious so I looked it up. References AN-82 and AN-86. AN-82 (Mitchell Lee, 1999) includes a thermal noise test: the board was covered with a foam cup and measured; the cup was then removed and the measurement continued. Noise jumps from a few uV to about 30uV. "Ambient in both cases was a lab bench-top with no excessive turbulence from air conditioners, opening/closing doors, foot traffic or _547 exhaust_." (my emphasis). A dig at Jim, perhaps? :) The second one, AN-86, was in part authored by Jim, as evidenced by the gentle sarcasm and mild technophobia (the 546 photos, and preference of toggling dials over surfing the internet).

Tim

-- Deep Friar: a very philos>

Reply to
Tim Williams

h cases

A dig

, as

not

an

Was the noise thermally generated or optically generated? I know when I worked down at the femtoAmps region, I had to turn off the lights and no one could walk around! After all a few electrons moving by, looks like current.

Reply to
Robert Macy

do

For

not

Or maybe it is an oblique hint that it is expensive.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

It's thermal.

The LTZ1000 is very sensitive to air currents around it and the circuitry connected to it. Actually that's not quite right. The part

*itself* is stable, but its Kovar leads make thermocouple junctions with the copper PCB traces. It has an on-board heater to stabilise its chip temperature at some elevated value, 80 degrees C say. So there is a largish thermal gradient between the chip and the board. Any air currents produce local cooling variations so you get thermocouple voltages generated which don't always cancel precisely.

You also have to be careful not to allow an external thermal gradient to appear accross the device (for the same reason). Some people put cutouts around the part to prevent this. Do a google image search on "ltz1000 pcb" and you will see several examples. Look out for the pink foam insulation typically used to keep out air currents.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Me too :)

Well just four of them to be precise. In my hobby-mode I have a test circuit set up for it. I am learning a lot just figuring out exactly how the circuit works, making measurements, seeing where the errors come from.

One issue is measuring the drift. There isn't anything more accurate to compare it to! Nothing without pipes for the liquid helium anyway. The best meter is HP3458A which contains.... a LTZ1000.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Unfortunately, in a recent application, the thermal variations turned out to be right smack in the signal band.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

do

or

not

can

How about if you set up three of them and measure the relative drift?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well why do you think I have 4??? :)

Yes that is what you can do.

Here is one with 10

Assumes they don't drift the same way of course.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

They should package one of these and all the support circuits into one of their cute little LTM modules.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links