MAC Architectures

Wavefront (formerly Alesis Semiconductor) has an audio-specific DSP. It is

Reply to
Jon Harris

Seems reasonable to me. Use the DCM clock shifter to get a fraction of a clock cycle. 10ns/256 is 40 ps.

I can't quite understand the fine print well enough to work out a design on the fly. Maybe Peter will take it as a challenge.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Hal Murray

I was referring to custom design, not the use of standard cells or FPGAs. It is certainly obvious that if you can't design your cells from scratch then you're just arranging the cells that you have available. I'm not sure if it can be reduced to swapping wires however, though certainly in FPGAs where the entire logic design is already laid out and the only configuration possible is via routing changes then this is the case.

Reply to
Bevan Weiss

There is a app note

There are a few fft cores included with ise in logicore

or

To use the builtin ones (IP cores) new project then add file , select IP(coregen) then wait for it to load the cores. Then configure as required.

Depends on which chip family you have selected to which cores are available.

Interesting to see that you can get a couple of TI dsps as cores for fpga

or

List of xilinx app notes/white papers

They claim a 2uS 1024 point fft

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson
[whole bunch really useful Xilinx links snipped :-) ]

Thanks! This is a keeper!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What is that supposed to mean? Even if your standard cell library consists of only a NAND-gate in one size there are still many degrees of freeedom in circuit design. For many design problems there are architectures that trade off the number of cells for power or speed. Not so for single cycle multipliers. For any practicle multiplier size the number of 1-bit adders is fixed and there exists a complete set of transformations to automatically reach all possible setups even after placement.

I am sure. RTFP. There is a proof in there.

though certainly in FPGAs where the entire logic design is already laid out and

This does not make the problem any easier. Well, mapping for FPGAs is easier, but that is trivial for multipliers anyway. For placement it does not really matter a lot what the grid is and routing actually gets more difficult when you can only use a fixed set of connections.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

So you're saying it makes no difference if booth encoding is used, or any form of carry ripple reduction? That it's all just a rearranging of wires? Surely not, using a booth encoder requires different components to a simple ripple counter and so has broken that theory.

Reply to
Bevan Weiss

Bevan Weiss schrieb:

You are right, my definition was not exact enough. What I wrote applies to anything that happens after partial product generation.

Carry ripple reduction does not apply to single cycle multipliers. You need to sum up all carries at the end. Producing a redundant number representation at the output does not count, because now you changed the function computed by the circuit.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma