LT Parts to Stock Lab - Recommendations

I have been using LTSpice and would like to have on hand a selection of LT parts.

The type of circuits I build relate to signal generation, amplification and processing; all analog and in the range of DC to

100KHz.

I generally operate them on either 4 x AA cells, or a 12VDC 1A plug pack, prefering single rail.

I would like to stock parts that have a broad range of uses, so as not to have to purchase too many. i am thinking maybe 20 tops.

Could I please have some suggestions from the experts here on what are their favorites for the type of applications described above.

Claus Jensen

Reply to
cjensen

Why not go to Newark or Mouser or Farnell/Element 14 if you are outside the US, and see which LT parts they stock.

The LT part is almost always more expensive than it's TI equivalent, so if a broad-line distributor stocks it, it's got to be both significantly better, and popular.

The LT parts I'm particularly fond of are the LT1006, and it's dual the LT1013 and the quad LT1014. I've hardly ever been able to justify spending the extra money to actually use them.

The LT1016 comparator is similarly attractive, but hardly anybody actually uses comparators, so you probably shouldn't bother keeping one on hand.

There are applications for comparators, but they aren't easy to use, and skilled analog designers tend to remember the times they gave trouble, and find other ways of solving problems.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

  1. One of the TimerBlox, such as LTC6992.

For 12VDC but not for 4xAA cell circuitry:

  1. LT3757, a step-up/invert switcher, also suitable for really unorthodox non-switcher applications.

  1. LTC3810, sync-buck, for stuff where a lot of muscle is needed.

Those are my main LTC staples, like salt and flour in the kitchen. I always bypass the internal LDO so I can drive FETs with gusto, >10V.

Then maybe an assortment of opamps although you can pick some from just about any manufacturer becayse 100kHz clearly falls into the "generic" category.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On 07/12/14 06:13, Bill Sloman wrote:>

Yep, I have exactly the same thoughts.

My current favorite part is the LT1227 (current-feedback opamp).

In a prototype that I'm working on I use it to recover a signal digital that is current-modulated onto a high speed PWM modulated digital signal (Yep, something like this is used in practice).

The performance of the LT1226 in this job is just outstanding. The price however is deep in the *Outch* range.

For the final design I'll will have to replace that part with something cheaper and with a slower response. There is headroom after all.

/Nils

Reply to
Nils