Low voltage marks generator

I am a begginer in the robotics feild and am planning on a building a small robot that runs on a 3.6 volt battery. this voltage is fine except for when it comes to running motors. I'm not even sure if i could run a photovore of this low a voltage. i was thinking of building a 3 stage marks generator that uses three volt zener diodes instead of spark gaps to triple the voltage to nine volts. i want to charge a small 8.4v battery of of this new voltage and then use that to run the motors. do you think my idea will work?

Reply to
ngdbud

i want to do this because i want my robot to have the option of solar battery chargeing but i want this to be a small robot and a 10 volt solar pannel would be two big. i have already found a 4.2v 22ma solar cell the would be perfect for chargeing a 3.6v battery pack. i dont believe the battery could explode if i used a small enough capacitor, the current would be too low to make enough heat although im not sure the pulseing would do to a battery pack...

Reply to
ngdbud

No.

John

Photovore?

There are small motors out there that are designed to run on low voltages -- look for "pager motors".

If you must build a step-up supply build a switcher. National, Linear Technology, TI and about a gazillion other manufacturers have single-chip solutions for this that are small, efficient and easy to design with.

------------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Then use a switching converter off of the photovoltaic cell and always use an 8.4 battery!

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

thanks for the help, btw photovores are these little robots that chase light. Google it, you'll find some cool stuff.

Reply to
ngdbud

Why do you want to do this? It takes additional circuitry to properly charge a battery. Why not just buy a rechargeable battery and an appropriate charger.

Using an improperly designed charger either won't work, will destroy the battery or will cause the battery to explode.

Dan

--

Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580 585-872-2606 snipped-for-privacy@USSailing.net