low current inverter

Ahh, well I had to look up exactly what a push pull looks like. Mostly we just buy someone else's supply, it's cheaper.

At the moment this is a circuit fragment. Powered from a bench supply. Maybe a phihong 24V switcher.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hey this is a bit crazy, but what about a box with a power strip inside, for various supplies, and then front panel modules. I'm expecting the user to plug things in so of course I'd have to protect against all possible fu's. the polyfuse-zener looks like the answer. (is there a under voltage, over current fault condition?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

But, that circuit will actually work as is, when selecting a

3.x+ V LED and proper feed back value R to work with the capacitance sitting at the input of the inverter. C maybe small but still, there is enough to get it oscillation.

I would say it was a good example to put some one in the right direction for other applications.

You need to research more before exercising the foot.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

That's a way to power a blue LED from 3 volts or so.

Really brave folk would eliminate the resistor, too.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Using a 1nf cap with Schottky diodes I got good results..

I dropped a diode on the sheet and supplied a model card that would do a blue LED. Vfwd, Ilimit, epsilon, etc, to get a LED that comes close enough. I got ~ 12mA with the on cycle.

I found the selected schottky from the data base, first one, had enough Cj to soften the blow in the pump cycle so that the LED didn't get impacted that heavily with inrush.

Plus if you include some real life "Ron" for the diode in the model card's parm list, it also helps to bring it to reality.

Jamie

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

A good blue LED, nowadays, looks pretty good with 1 mA of average current.

The LED wouldn't mind the current spike.

Given a hex schmitt HC14, you could build a 5-stage ring oscillator, with the extra inverter available to double-up the output drive strength, or to use for something else. At 3 volts, it would oscillate at a few MHz maybe. Then you'd pick the charge-pump cap value to set the LED brightness. Or make a voltage-output charge pump, the original topic.

Hey, an HC14 ring oscillator would make a (not very good) VCO. Or a (not very good) temperature sensor. Or a (pretty good) random number generator.

Precision electronic instrumentation

The InGaN greens look pretty good at low currents, too, and easily operated off a 3.3V supply (which surprised me at the time).

Reply to
krw

I tried an Avago green LED, up in Truckee, where it's really dark at night. After I was dark adapted, I could just barely detect it making light at about

800 pA forward current.

Here are some numbers for some Osram LEDS.

so they could be run from 3.3 volts with just a resistor, with some large supply sensitivity. 3 volts or less gets dicey for the blue.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Your numbers for the greens are similar to what I found. IIRC, I ended up using a NPN-NFET current source directly from a LiIon battery set at ~5mA (and from a regulated 3.3V supply on wall-powered versions). The LEDs were plenty bright to see in direct sunlight. Like I said, I was surprised I could get away with it but it worked out fine because 5mA was plenty for these LEDs. The 525nm green is good looking, too, but expensive.

Reply to
krw

You can buy bipolar transistors, like BCX70K, that are beta graded about 2:1. That makes it feasible to make a constant-current source with just one transistor and one resistor, that would in some situations regulate LED current a lot better than just a resistor.

The little HC14 charge pump thing will make the current fairly constant.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I don't do beta dependant designs. Too much chance of problems down the road. Decent "logic level" NFETs aren't all that expensive.

Reply to
krw

George - if you need more current, shift to the 74AC14. They are spec'd at around 25 ma. sink & source. For getting a bit of boost, if memory serves, with an approximately fixed load, a series inductor will work. That was tinkered with but found unneccessary.

Hul

George Herold wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Almost any conceivable bipolar transistor design is beta dependant!

An npn-nfet current source, at least the common one, drops up a couple of volts. If you have that much voltage to spare, just use a resistor.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Nonsense, to anyone short of the Slowman class of pendants.

Again, nonsense. Vbe is less than .6V at low currents. The FET simply flatten the I-V curve, and it works rather well.

Reply to
krw

You don't check the min/max beta specs when you design a transistor circuit? You don't make sure it will work with any transistor in those limits? That's all I'm suggesting.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Thanks Hul, I was getting ~5mA from the charge pump thing. That may be enough, but I'll most likely use the LM2662 IC. Re: the inductor... well that didn't work out as well. I was thinking along these lines..

But it also needed two diodes... OK sure I could let the HC14 drive a fet.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

--
Being a Schmitt-trigger inverter, the presence or absence of input
capacitance is irrelevant and the hysteresis built into the input

--
Larkin back-pedaling???

Congrats, krw, I love it!

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Not a bit. I'm trying to figure out whether he does math or just follows rules.

Because you don't understand it.

Come on, say something on topic once in a while. You're being a squaking old hen again.

Precision electronic instrumentation