Low-C input protection diodes

It's pretty similar for protection. Basically you have to make sure the voltage and current excursion doesn't exceed certain limits, no matter what causes them. Then it'll survive. With RF there is the added risk of causing harmonics with such diodes and suddenly the 3rd, 5th or 7th harmonic of some other powerful source swamps your RF link. That would not be cool.

RF chips often seem a bit wimpy. 0dBm abs max, I wouldn't even dare to release something like that.

Yes. John Larkin had pointed out a few really nice ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would probably be like using a Lamborghini to haul firewood ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have to disagree. The RF clamping is a different business. There are the special diodes for that. Stray L matters. BAV99 are not good at stray L at all.

Aha. Now it is clear: you have the RF communication device. The failure of the preamp FET due to the ESD is a well known problem.

0dBm @ 50 Ohm = ~ 600mVpp. It is not very trivial to clamp at this level.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Yes, but you can make sure that a simple filter takes care of anything really high in frequency and then the BAV99 works pretty well. I am using them since 20+ years. Now RF links run at higher frequencies and this problem begins to nag, just as capacitance does.

Yep, inside the chips and the datasheets are not very talkative about what's inside the chip.

That's why I prefer chips like those from TI. Their abs max is +10dBm, much easier. But often this wasn't my decision and by the time I get called in it's all said and done. Since you are a consultant as well I am sure you are familiar with that ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, then how'd you find so many good candidates so quickly? E.g., if you search datasheet features lists, lots of parts advertise themselves as "low capacitance" but examining the data shows them to be 10 or 20pF, etc.

Reply to
Winfield

Well, it sounded like something I should know, so I googled and they popped right up.

So now I know.

But yeah, some people think 35 pF is low capacitance.

John