low-cost in-stock 0805 diodes

Sure we have sod-123 diodes, and sod-323, but what about 0805? I found at least one company making 0603, 0805 and 1210 small-signal diodes but one must order 3000 at a rather hefty price, and wait for them to fabricate them. How about a small jelly-bean 0805 diode, does one exist?

Reply to
Winfield

A quick check of Digikey shows 0603 parts in stock from Comchip-

1N4148 type parts and schottkys in 9 varieties, but I don't think you can call these "jellybean". I've generally been using duals such as BAV99 even where only a single is required, since they're cheap and available everywhere.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The cdsu4148, a good find! In stock and not too outrageous, at 12 cents qty 100, 5 cents qty 1k.

Yes those are jellybeans. 2.7 cents qty 100, etc. What's more, nobody can possibly install the 3-pin sot-23 or sot-323 (bav99w) package backwards.

Reply to
Winfield

However, layouters can reverse pins 1 and 2. Just happened to one of my designs with the BAV199T. It's on flex and bending over the pins easily results in breaking them off :-(

IMHO this whole EDIF concept was a joke. There is no standard even for such mundane things.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Some of the SOD-323 diodes we used to buy (Skyworks schottkies, 0.2 pF) have been discontinued and replaced by SC-79's. You can barely see an SC-79... it looks like a spec of dirt. You could sprinkle them in your cereal and barely notice the additional crunch.

As Speff says, the SOT-23 duals are handy.

John

Isn't that SC-75? This week I had the pleasure to remove several from flex (!), bend the pins and mount them upside down. Like trying to solder a grain of salt.

The beauty of this stuff is that I was able to get over 50 parts onto the real estate of a postage stamp.

And they are cheap. Whenever I see Digikey having a five- to six-digit quantity in stock I know it's true jelly bean stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Mouser has this for 5c/100: CD0805-S01575 plus some others, searched by "chip diode".

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

Yes, indeed, nice find, Mouser has 8,964 in stock. But I see Bourns has already discontinued the 0805 size and now jumps from 0402 and 0603 to the 1005 and 1206 package sizes, skipping 0805. They won't even let you get the datasheet any more.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

We had that on a bunch of MMBT3904 and we have entire boards with every one (there were a dozen plus per board) all upside down. Once I stole one back off one of those boards and put it on another board the right way and it still didn't break...

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

With SOT-23 that's ok, they have quite beefy pins. But SC-75 pins are so thin and fragile that you better not sneeze when close to one ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

"John Larkin" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Next they will be tagging the leads with antibodies and marking the pads with enzymes so that placing consists of dipping the board in a "solution" of all the components so they stick to where they are supposed to go ;-)

Hey - I just blew a patent there.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

I once saw a process where a bucket full of pins was dumped onto a plate full of holes, and the plate vibrated until every hole was filled with one pin, then the pins were pressed into a motherboard.

John

Sort of an argument against intelligent design..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, somebody had to draw up the pin receiver and drill the little holes....

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise