Looking for VHDL home study course

I want to get better at VHDL. I am looking an on-line or CD-based training course.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Google search on "VHDL Tutorial":

starfire

This is not a CD but the book "FPGA Prototyping by VHDL Examples" by Pong P. Chu is a very good book for learning how to use VHDL. The book is digital design oriented and use the Xilinx Spartan 3 FPGA Starter kit for running the code example shown in the book. Even if you don't purchase a Spartan 3 FPGA Starter kit this book will get you off to a good start with VHDL.

Howard

Reply to
hrh1818

I have an old Cypress book that came with a VHDL environement, it was by Kevin Skahill.

You might be able to score it cheap on eBay or something, it is old (10yrs). But I got a lot out of it, although I don't do any VHDL now.

But it might be too basic for you.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Skahill.http://www.amazon.com/VHDL-Programmable-Logic-Kevin-Skahill/dp/020189...

Oh and it came with a CD with tutorials.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Used copies for $7.72 -- cheap enough!

I received a copy with a $99 copy of Warp (Cypress' VHDL synthesis tool) years ago. It is a pretty basic book, but good for those without any former RTL background.

I met Kevin Skahill at some conference once... nice guy, and it turns out he wrote various parts of Cypress's VHDL tools. (Outside of work he was programming up a VHDL simulator at the time, that was freely available to test out.) I wonder if he's still around? As far as I can tell, Cypress largely discontinued development of new CPLDs some years ago now.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Thanks. I am looking into the Xilinx starter kits.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Holy Yikes!

What a selector guide!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If your looking for low cost hardware to play with:

I like the fpga fast digital scope, if it only had external triggering I'd buy the kit.

Steve

Reply to
osr