looking for a transistor

(snip)

It has almost nothing to do with radiation, and everything to do with conduction. The E-line has a copper lead frame, with an over sized collector mounting flag that allows short leads to large copper traces to carry away more heat.

Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

2n4401 is rated at 600mA continuous.
Reply to
Anthony Fremont

No it is not; original spec was in the 100mA region, and we have idiots wanting them to act like perfect switches up to two amps.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I can think of lots of products I worked on in the distant past that would probably develop beaucoup problems with chips of any considerably greater speed. Nothing shoddy, it would have more to do with PC board materials (using what was more than sufficient in the day rather than what might someday be nice), layout, bypassing, etc. and power supply design (again, what was more than sufficient for the job then).

--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

I wish they made TO-220's that could handle overload.

Tim

still

Reply to
Tim Williams

volts

keep

Max current for 2n2222 seems to depend on manufacturer. Note of caution: incandescent lamp might draw up to x10 current when it's cold. I learned it once hard way ~25 years ago.

Reply to
Michael

On Jan 2, 8:35 pm, "Tim Williams" wrote: [... 2N2222 ...]

There is a Zetex SOT223 version that can take a couple of Watts if you keep the PCB cold enough.

Reply to
MooseFET

John Popelish wrote in news:w4SdnbRDpat3LebanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Fair enough. Just thought that there might be devices that can operate at higher temperatures than usual and rely on small mass and large temperature difference to allow radiative dissipation without clumsy heatsinking. Not much call to engineer than on a PCB though, where conduction is easier to manage.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

In logic design that can be dangerous. At least stay away from using prop delays as "design elements". Certainly a two-layer phenolic design can't be equipped with chips that provide ECL speeds but IMHO a design should flawlessly migrate from an old logic family to the CMOS that replaced it.

And they absolutely had to pick a remote vacation resort place for that meeting, didn't they? Shows some of the "motivators" in the movement.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

Ever hear of a political convention in Watts, or even Anaheim ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Use #47 bulbs, they use less current...and/or you could use an AC source and control the lights with SCRs - 2N5060s for example.

John :-#)#

  John\'s Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

volts

Some of the new warm white Xmas lights really look a lot like incandescents. See, for example, Noma.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany