Long life electrolytic capacitors

Hah, so the unicorns DO exist!

"The MLP?s high-energy storage and box-shape make it perfect for voltage holdup or filtering in military SEM-E modules, telecom circuit packs and computer cards. The MLP delivers up to 20 joules of

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

It's funny you say "unicorns"; MLP also stands for My Little Pony.

Hmm, this is arguably more on topic, and arguably even more disturbing?

Well... enjoy, I guess. ;-)

Oh, so, anyway, "exist" may be a little strong... have you checked stock on any of those? :-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature

$85.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

50years at 45deg is not that impressive. Derating is lifex10 per 20deg drop for solid polymer or roughly lifex4 per 20deg drop for wet electrolytic. So that 438khr implies 6800 hours at 105degC (if wet electrolytic) or 430 hours at 105degC if polymer. Plenty of parts around now boast 10,000 hrs at 105degC and polymers nearly as good at that temp (and of course vastly better at lower temps).

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Alternative?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Good conventional electrolytics last a long time if they don't run hot. ESR self-heating is the big enemy.

Several small caps in parallel is thermally better than one big one. Air flow matters. Shop around for a combination with minimal ESR and maximum surface area.

Polymer aluminums are good, low ESR and no water to diffuse out, but it's hard to store much energy in them. They don't seem to come in big sizes.

This is great:

Maximum thermal insulation.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

That's like $1.70/year, much cheaper than a service contract!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Sure, but it's the first time I see "50 years" specified explicitly. Currently the best "long life" part I have ever seen didn't specify that expressis verbis, but its longevity chart ended around 18 years.

But there are no high voltage polymers (400+V DC).

125V is the current record AFAIR.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Not that bad.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

LOL, marketing missed a trick, should have said 200 years life at 25deg!

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Close:

"Life tests and measurements of weight loss at high temperatures showed expected operating lifetimes for the spinoff capacitor of 50 to 100 years. That is well beyond the 10 years expected of typical aluminum electrolytic capacitors."

:-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Since the replacement only has about 1/3 of the capacitance of the original, I fail to see what is so "great" about it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You might hire Sloman for lessons in taking everything absolutely literally.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

So much for CD's critical thinking ability :)

I wonder if he notices when the point whizzes past him?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Irony, humor, ambiguity, and confusion are fundamental to electronic design. The solution space is so enormous that lightly-directed stumbling is the only way to explore it.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Aye. Too many times I've found a good solution by going down what look at first like the wrong roads.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or the only way John knows how to explore it.

The fact that inventions tend to be independently invented at much the same time does suggest that the solution space does have a structure that some can perceive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Group brainstorming often works well, but one sourpuss can poison the session. It's important that there be no initial distinction between serious ideas and goofy ideas and outright jokes.

About the only thing we can safely dismiss is outright violation of conservation of energy.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

t first like the wrong roads.

I've not found group brainstorms successful myself. The others have always been far too conservative. You must have colleagues more like-minded.

I should have learnt from my first one, wherein I suggested an idea that so unded a bit off the wall but I'd already done it years before & it quadrupl ed sales. In hindsight it's not hard to see why, it's primarily basic atten tion getting, something that's often undervalued in business. Plus remindin g people of the problem they need to solve.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. One scores points for having ideas, not shooting down ideas. It can be a lot of fun. Sometimes we can get potential customers to play; the danger there is that we can look hare-brained and uncertain; some customers expect mature certainty, as in a prepared PowerPoint or something boring like that.

Customers know their process and we know signal processing. It takes some iteration to discover a great combination. It's wonderful when it works.

A lot of potential customers simply won't reveal what they actually intend to do. That makes innovation tough.