Long ingrained neural pathways

I picked this up on another newsgroup.

It's about riding a bike with reverse geared steering. I know you've seen one before, but there is some analysis about how long it took this engineer to learn to ride it and then how long for his 5 year old son to learn. And then what happens when he tries to go back to a normal bike.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I wonder if it's easier if you cross your hands over?

Here's a trick - fold your arms and pick up a length of rope from a table, one end in each hand. Unfold your arms, and the rope is knotted. You can bore your grand-kids to death with that one!

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I think at one point someone tries that, it didn't help.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I bet that someone who rides a motorcycle would get it much quicker. Counter steering is part of their life.

Martin Riddle

But you need to be up to speed before counter steering takes over. Once up to a good speed, you can take your hands off the bars and just use your weight to steer.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Or a boat, or a forklift...

Reply to