Logic analyzers

Interesting, thanks.

Sure looks real to us. It's a pipelined capacitive ADC, so internal settling stuff can come out in subsequent samples.

I don't know enough about the design to comment much on its guts.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If you can use it with sigrok, it should be quite future-proof. USB works fine if you don't push it to the maximum possible throughput - a USB3 connection has advantages.

What I like about the USB logic analyzers is that you can record huge amounts of data (limited by PC memory, and the software does on-the-fly compression) and later zoom in on the details - with a classic analyzer with integrated memory, you need to setup triggers beforehand - buf after triggering, those can be faster.

What is better depends on the problem you are analyzing.

cu Michael

Reply to
Michael Schwingen

With our stuff, there are usually three or four boat anchors in use already, so having the logic analyzer be unobtrusive is a win.

Cheers

Phil "Still trying to figure out that weird ADC thing" Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

there must be bits miswired, missing, or shorted

it never recovers, after the glitch the slope/gain/offset looks different

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Maybe. It's a vendor IP block that they changed around for us, to make the floor plan long and skinny. All of the bits seem to be changing independently, though. I'll check for supply current glitches if the problem is reproducible on another chip.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I cannot get enough instruments. Can you share a link to the one you have?

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

It's actually 24 MHz, I misspoke. If you search Amazon for logic analyzers and sort by price, there are about 20 very similar to these ones. AFAICT they all have that same Nordic chip in them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

agreed, but a name would save a lot of inference....

Reply to
Three Jeeps

You can sort out the riff-raff by searching for "64 channel". This eliminates most, if not all, of the low end logic analyzers. For instance, I found:

Flyguy

something like this:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Dunno exactly--I didn't buy them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nice, thanks. And even a Danish site, only 100km from my location :-)

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Or like this, exactly what Phil describes:

They actually run a bit faster than 16 Msample/s, I get about 24 Msample/s. They go for less than EUR 10, including shipping. I have two, just in case I blow up one.

Arie

Reply to
Arie de Muijnck