Little 1:10 audio transformer as HV transformer

Baer

ups and downs,

be very very cold.

No, but they add up. Just as John proposed.

Reply to
John S

Sure. That principle applies to planets and minor planets as well as floating rocks. Yes?

Reply to
John S

and downs,

very very cold.

Get drunk ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

so you're looking at it as the "Heisenberg uncertainty principle."

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

If the public goes blind, they go blind! ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Baer

ups and downs,

be very very cold.

Take out maximum loans Buy all that you can. Make no plans to pay then back. Get drunk as possible Have much fun as possible Bring out your dead! they're coming for you! The end is near!

Next ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

and downs,

be very very cold.

Steal their energy too!

John

Larkin _would_ have a problem being naked in public... the laughter would devastate him ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- [On the Road, in New York]

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Baer

ups and downs,

will be very very cold.

So you have a million asteroids in Earth-intersecting orbits. Nice.

Reply to
krw

Baer

ups and downs,

be very very cold.

Sounds like Obama.

Buy Greek debt.

Reply to
krw

Baer

ups and downs,

be very very cold.

No matter how much Earth steals from them, they will remain in an Earth-intersecting orbit.

Reply to
krw

Baer

ups and downs,

be very very cold.

I'm not sure that's true.

But you could steer them into the sun after you swipe most of their angular momentum. Or sling them around Venus and slow them down, so they don't have enough energy to make it back to our orbit. Or use Venus to fling them somewhere else safe.

John

I wonder what he's talking about.

John

obert Baer

light ups and downs,

it will be very very cold.

earth

o the

does

do

I don't think that you are using the right pronoun here. The Sun is going to turn into a red giant some 7.59 billion years from now, and mammalian species last for about 10 million year on average (before going extinct or eveloving into something else). Whoever gets to salvage the Earth isn't going to be us, or anything much like us - the earth is only 4.5 billion years old, and multi-celled life has only been around for about half a billion years. Even Darwinian evolution by random mutations would produce some further improvements in 7.59 bilion years, and we seem to be on the verge of being able to implement our own version of intelligent design via genetic engineering.

There will be people who think that we are perfect just as we are, and use genetic engineering to stabilise their genome against random mutations, but their descendants will end up living in zoos serving to amuse and edify our improved and evolving descendants.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman
[...]

Heh, nice troll there Jan :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:14:52 -0400) it happened Jamie wrote in :

MOSFET,

OK I build it, and learned a few things.

I made some minor modification, because of the 'spike' you can see in the oscillogram

This peak current at the beginning of the on time is likely caused by charging the Cds of the MOSFET. To prevent it to switch of the PWM right away in the cycle by cycle current limiter I added a bit of low pass to filter out that peak, R3 C2. PIC A comparator + -------------------------------------------- +4V p14 C12IN2- | | | === +5 | [ ] R2 | C1 | | | /// | | /// [ ] Rs [ ] R1 PIC B | | comparator - -----R3 ---| ---------|>|----------- +500V p16 C2IN+ | | | FR1Y | === )|( | | C2 1 )|( 33 === 47nF/2kV /// )|( | | | | | ------------------| PIC | - | p7 P1A PWM --------| | - /// | -| | IRLZ34A ///

R2 / (R1+R2) = 1/100 Rs 1 Ohm C1 10 nF R3 680 Ohm C2 10nF Tperiod 140 uS Vout 500V Total load 1.4MOhm With Vbatt 5V, Ibatt 51.6 mA at this load, makes Pin 258 mW, Pout 179 mW, gives efficiency 69%

C1 is just to make the comparator input clean. Transient response in beautiful, tried a push button to switch the load on/off.

Regulation is good, I get about 2% This depends on Rs, because of a high value of Rs the 'linear range' becomes bigger,

100 mV for a shunt at max Id should be a reasonable compromise. Shunts always burn some power... If you make Rs too small (or short it), the thing becomes a hysteretic controller again working against the 5V supply as reference, If you make it too big (say 10 Ohm) then it burns power and regulation gets worse.

Pin 14 of the PIC is also analog input 6, so you can monitor the HV voltage for too low. Not for to high, as the pin is then at >+5V, above the Vdd of the PIC, but of course an other analog input can be used for displaying the HV.

Hysteretic or cycle by cycle current limit depends a bit on the application I guess. Cycle by cycle is more quiet, and a bit more efficient it seems. Hysteretic can be a bit more accurate ion this circuit, but is very noisy.

2% accuracy is good enough for me, and as I use it for PMT etc, quiet is nice too. A winner.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Baer

ups and downs,

will be very very cold.

Pretty sure it is. To get a non-intersecting orbit you'd have to steal 100% to put them into the sun when you're done. The only other way would be to add energy (doing the opposite of what you want).

You would have to steal 100% of the angular momentum to sling them into the sun. You could use other planets as targets but that would make the issues even more complicated and more chaotic.

Reply to
krw

Baer

ups and downs,

will be very very cold.

Not 100%.

You could use other planets as targets but that would make the issues

Since we'd *design* all the trajectories and timing, why not plan the asteroid's path to swing around earth, deliver a boost, and head into the sun? We'd want to steal most of its angular momentum.

And what's wrong with complexity? Presumably we'll have a lot of compute power available a billion years from now. Not enough to predict climate or weather, but enough to aim an asteroid into a big target like the sun. We currently do multi-planet slingshots of space probes with stunning precision.

How about swing past earth and deliver momentum. Then loop Venus, pick up speed, loop past earth again to deliver more momentum, repeat as necessary, then fling the asteroid out of the solar system. There are so many possibilities, some should work.

John

efficiency,

prescaler

Then use a different MOSFET. In switching applications a MOSFET with a higher RDSon may actually be more efficient because the gate charge will be significantly lower and therefore it will switch faster.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Robert Baer

slight ups and downs,

will be very very cold.

earth

Yes, 100%. Any less and it's still in orbit and will come back.

You can't have 100%.

The sun is *not* a big target. You have to cancel the orbital velocity to get something to the sun.

All will put more rocks in earth-intersecting orbits.

Reply to
krw