Little 1:10 audio transformer as HV transformer

If the point the author is attempting to make is "It's complicated", then the slide works just fine. For any other purpose, not so much...

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Even better, start with a blank whiteboard. People will follow you as you draw and talk. PowerPoint has this timing problem, in that people will silently read the text asynchronously to the speaker reading it aloud (which they always do) and people get annoyed with the dissonance.

I went to meet a customer once to talk about a waveform generator they might want. I scribbled some sketches on the plane. It was very bumpy so they were horrible messes. When I got there, there were 22 people in a theatre-like conference room, VPs and engineers and such. Somebody saw my notes and grabbed them and made projector slides out of them. It was like a bad dream, being naked in public or something. It worked out, though. They didn't mind the scribbles.

John

efficiency,

prescaler

be about 100kHz,

efficiency (core loss at 100 kHz?)

%...

caps,

transformers.

frequencies.

no

core losses at 100kHz.

it sees about 220pF MOSFETcap.

and then.

other PMT:

circuit.

TinyLogic schmitt trigger.

Sure. I used them a lot back in olden days. PUTs, too.

ratio.

It worked, did what Alex needed.

Alex servoes the voltage by turning a pot. Russian scientists are cheap error amps.

The "wave wound dust core choke" points out the problem of high flyback ratios. Core loss and especially winding capacitance limit the flyback voltage.

John

prescaler

about 100kHz,

efficiency (core loss at 100 kHz?)

caps,

transformers. For the transformer, may i suggest the red Triad SP-4; 200K CT pri,

1K CT sec - drive the secondary. Seems to be reliable to 1KV or so output and at 185C or so.
Reply to
Robert Baer

That is non-sequiter. BTW, doesn't the sun warm the earth? That is to say isn't that global? I am a Baer, and even i get out of the cave...

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:18:05 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

efficiency,

prescaler

be about 100kHz,

efficiency (core loss at 100 kHz?)

caps,

transformers.

Thanks, I made a note of that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:23:09 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Look at the long term happenings. First it seems the earth was a molten hot lava-land. The atmosphere was full of vapourised hydrocarbons. Things slowly cooled[1] and that atmosphere condensed at some point, and the condensate is what we now find all over the place as oil [2]. Anyways things have been cooling since then. maybe with some slight ups and downs, but cooling it will, and eventually the sun will burn out and it will be very very cold.

[1] Already then... [2] I deduced this from a NASA posting that stated that we may be too late at Pluto as the atmosphere there would have condensed because of cooling. The idea of a condensing atmosphere set me thinking, and logic dictates that if a hydrocarbon rich atmosphere was to condense it would form oil and tar sands, but then this is only my theory, that of course I must mention here ;-) But it shows clearly where the oil is to be found and why [everywhere, because of the above]. It also shows there is likely no shortage of it, so we are all being played by the so called oil shortage stories.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:40:33 -0400) it happened Jamie wrote in :

efficiency,

prescaler

frequencies.

can no

flyback voltage.

kHz drive:

resistor,

be seen here.

/off of teh PWM.

You actually just gave me a cool idea. Cycle by cycle curent limit is nice if you can control the reference, and do a voltage compare. Normally that would take 2 comparators... But then when I was thinking over your idea I figured out this circuit:

PIC A comparator + ---------------------------------- +4V | | +5 | [ ] R2 | | | | | /// [ ] Rs [ ] R1 PIC B | | comparator - -----| ---------|>|----------- +600V | | | )|( | )|( === )|( | | | | | ------------------| | - | PIC PWM ---| | - /// | -| | ///

The way this works is that Rs measures the current during on-time of the MOSFET, The voltage at point B will drop more and more during on-time. With the system in balance point A is a bit less positive than Point B, at about 4V because of divider R2 / (R1 + R2) x Uout. When B drops below +4V the comparator stops the PWM on time in progress, this is the cycle by cycle current limiting. But now the treshold, the reference, is set by the R1 / (R1+R2) divider. When the output voltage drops, this treshold gets closer to zero, say 3.5 V. This means the current limit will trigger later, and the feedback is complete. There is only one pole, no extra time constants should be needed :-) I am going to try this tomorrow:-) So basically the output voltage is used as reference for the current limiter, and compared to the 5 V supply used as main reference. If the output voltage was to rise so that R2 / (R1+R2) x Uout becomes > 5V, then the current limit will be at zero mA. The maximum PWM duty cycle is set by the PIC software. This system only requires 2 input pins on the PIC. This I need to try, a 1 comparator current mode voltage stabiliser solution. May even work:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

nd downs,

very very cold.

This skips the bit when the sun becomes a red giant, eats up the earth and the rest of the inner planets (Mars excepted, apparently), so the earth won't be around to get very very cold when the sun finally does burn out.

a-red-giant/

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

downs,

very cold.

Just move it to a higher orbit. It's not difficult.

John

downs,

very very cold.

--
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice there is."

Yogi Berra
Reply to
John Fields

downs,

very very cold.

We might have to move Mars out of the way first.

John

efficiency,

prescaler

frequencies.

can no

flyback voltage.

kHz drive:

sense resistor,

be seen here.

/off of teh PWM.

MOSFET,

There you go. :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

and downs,

very very cold.

--
Brute force appeals to you?

Why expend the extra energy needed to do that when all we'd have to do
is make sure our orbits never intersect.

More to the point though, where do you think the energy is going to
come from which will boost us into a higher orbit?
Reply to
John Fields

and downs,

very very cold.

Someone else had the idea, and it's brilliant.

There's gobs of angular momentum in the asteroid belt. In principle it takes almost no energy to swing small asteroids around bigger ones, transfer momentum, and finally fling a big one out. Asteroids and comets already do that to themselves once in a while, by accident.

With careful aim, an asteroid can be flung into an Earth-hyperbolic flyby, like we already do to boost planetary probes.

The flyby can gravitationally transfer angular momentum from the asteroid to Earth. Or to Mars. The sun won't expand very fast, so we'd have lots of time to steal lots of asteroids and slowly expand Earth's orbit.

No brute force needed, just a little energy, careful aim, and patience. Cool idea.

John

Ah.... Got it.

Reply to
krw

and downs,

very very cold.

What are you going to do with all of those asteroids that are now in Earth-intersecting orbits?

Reply to
krw

and downs,

be very very cold.

If Earth is still where it is now, use them to do exactly what he said. Otherwise, Earth will not be there when they arrive.

Reply to
John S

and downs,

be very very cold.

With a little more work, we could re-direct them to hit Earth in its new orbit.

Reply to
John S

Baer

ups and downs,

be very very cold.

You think each one will significantly move the Earth?

Reply to
krw