Liquid non-linear core

I would like to experiment with using a liquid that has similar non-linear properties to solid ferrite rod. The general idea is to immerse a coil in it.

Can anyone please offer suggestions on what would be the most suitable product/material?

Neville Kingston

Reply to
Neville Kingston

I'm probably totally wrong but maybe ferrofluid???

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

/wiki/Ferrofluid

I got a sample of ferrofluid at CES. Though well sealed, what was in the vial turned to a solid. I certainly hope that was a fluke.

Reply to
miso

??? Iron compounds like nitrates or clorides?? (wild guess)

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nope! Those are paramagnetic, in fact.

They have positive relative permeability, it's just really stinking low. :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

A suspension of powdered iron in glycerine?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

ferrofluid???

Did you try degaussing it? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ferromagnetism is due to long-range order, only happens in solids, not liquids. Ferrofluids are suspensions of solid magnetic particles in a liquid. The difference will matter if high frequencies are present (the particles will rotate and dissipate energy).

Liquids can be highly paramagnetic, try liquid oxygen.

Reply to
whit3rd