Linearity of optoelectronics ?

Hi,

What is the linearity of the current/light intensity caracteristic of usual LEDs, photodiodes and phototransistors ?

I'm building a simple chromatographer to monitor the concentration of a chemical in a solution, and it's really a simple DIY project, but i'd like to get not too far off results.

v.

Reply to
vic

I'm not entirely sure about LED's, probably pretty linear, but keep in mind that they convert *current* to light. If you drive them with an analogue voltage waveform, they have a turn-on voltage so there will be a step in the response. So if you want to control their brightness, do it with current.

Photodiodes can be linear, depending on how you use them. See this article for a simple introduction to their foibles:

.pdf#page=2

--
Nemo
Reply to

I didn't see the OP so I'm responding to this snippet.

You can greatly linearize the transfer function(s) of opto devices by employing a feedback loop. See the datasheet for the Burr-Brown ISO100 for one way of doing this. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I like photodiodes. I'm not sure about LED's as sources. How 'bout a laser diode? What's the wavelength?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Laser diodes are nasty for linearity. They have gross mode jumps as current, temperature, interferance reflections, or, well, anything else changes.

Photodiodes are very linear at reasonable currents.

John

LEDs light output is linear vs current. Some years back I had to build a headamp for a photo sensor. Rather than attemp a simulation of the photo diode, I built a light source to test it. We used a high intensity HP LED because it was fast (10nS turn on / off) and drove it with a 'diamond transistor' from Burr Brown. We got linearity better than 1% and response -3dB at 30 MHz.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

You should be very carefull about that. Unless you are getting into the low or high currents, the LED output is reasonably linear (~1% ballpark). But beware of the strong nonlinearities at the low or high currents.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

  • Not a "step", it is a log relationship.

Reply to
Robert Baer

*Exponential

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Hmm Good point. I should have known better. I was thinking that laser diodes (run way above threshold) do a better job of turning each electron into a photon.

Anyone know the efficiency of LED's? How many electrons are wasted and how many turn into photons?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold