Lightning protection

It's a good place to be, but lightning is a bit unpredictable. The cage needs to be grounded. If the ground path passes under your feet, you could get a voltage differential across the two of them, causing severe harm to you.

Your feet should be on a dry, elevated wood platform. If the wood gets wet from rain coming through, there is again the possibility of a voltage differential.

The cage would be electrically equivalent to a Faraday cage, and therefore safe, it it was metal on six sides, joined together through low resistance, reliable bonds.

Reply to
Robert Morein

Hi folks...this was in a baseball newsgroup that I participate in (rec.sport.baseball). Faraday cages have been mentioned, implying that it could be safe. I don't know that I'd trust this against lightning (maybe a Van de Graff generator). What do you think?

"Just wondering if sitting on a wood bench inside a metal cage (i.e. metal on top and 4 sides) is a safe place to be during a lightning storm. This is similar to the situation of being in a car (except for the rubber tires!). I have seen younger kids wait out a passing storm this way and am wondering if it IS in fact safe? What would the effect of metal cleats be? I'd appreciate any thoughts from anybody but especially from physics teachers/physicists. Thanks!"

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre