Levels of abstraction

Too small to detect anything at energies of interest, some low energy x-ray may be. But the x-ray detectors are silicon, Ge is not used for these.

Not sure how pure in the "high purity" means, perhaps good enough. Older Ge detectors used to be lithium doped, Ge has been not that pure (again, I don't have the figure) but their disadvantage was they had to be kept at Liquid nitrogen temp *all* the time. Warm them up and the lithium would evaporate making the detector useless. No such issue with HPGe, warming up/cooling again is OK with these (still one should beware purely mechanical issues due to temp cycling, there is also the silica gel inside which might release some contaminants when warmed up (it is there to finish up the vacuum when cooled to LN2) etc., the detectors are simple devices but making one is far from straight forward as you seem to think :-).

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Nov 2021 12:51:30 +0200) it happened Dimiter_Popoff snipped-for-privacy@tgi-sci.com wrote in <slogrk$s7i$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Could maybe ask in that io.groups spectrometer forum, if somebody tried it. They sometimes had things for sale, have a scintilation screen from them. It is not a high priority for me, maybe some time, with a good spectrometer you can see from the isotopes who threw the bomb, or at least where it was made :-) Leeuwarden mil airbase just 20 km or so from here is likely a target so signal should be strong :-)

Jan Panteltje

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 1 Nov 2021 07:49:56 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <slo673$9kf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

vUrEJ6a64IKk

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Dimiter is the Bulgarian version of the name, quite popular (similar in popularity to say James in English). The Russian version is Dmitriy (y being "short i", "i" being pronounced as in "it" in either version). Dimitri must be in some other language which I don't speak, in fact I remember a Bulgarian of that name (public figure) bit he was the exception. Like many other names it is of Greek origin. The "e" in the Bulgarian version is pronounced as in "the", there is a separate character for the sound in the alphabet. The accent is on the second "i".

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Well good luck, be the first to have made an amateur HPGe spectrometer. The group you talk about must be the one which used to be a yahoo group, plenty of nice people there. The only HPGe related talk there I remember seeing (years ago, on yahoo) was when a guy had got hold of a Ge detector and was trying to make it work, not sure how this ended (back then he did not get very far). You may also want to know that once you have a HPGe detector your NaI, plastic etc. MCA will not really work with it. You will get some spectrum but it will not be much better than that with an NaI system, to get the 30 to 50 times better resolution HPGe offers you will need a real MCA. Once you are there you will be able to see things like this:

Dimiter_Popoff

Implementations are patented, not ideas.

Reply to
bitrex

It's actually obvious in a sense in the year 2021 to someone "skilled in the art" that you can warp space to make an object travel faster than light, you can run Einstein's GR equations backwards and see what metric is required to do that, it exists. The metric is a potentially realizable structure in the way a ship powered by nuclear energy is a potentially realizable structure.

Patents for warp drives though have AFAIK so far been rejected because the implementation didn't seem practicable.

Reply to
bitrex

My new next-door neighbors are Bulgarian. Our houses share a wall.

We are having aggressive pastry wars. About once a week, one of us will bake and take a plate over to the others. It's obvious, given my bread pudding and C's cupcakes, that we are winning.

Reply to
jlarkin

35 U.S.C. 114 also says the patent office is allowed to request a functioning prototype or model if the question of whether the invention even works as described or not is unclear. So warp drive patent applications tend to be busted so far when they do that.
Reply to
bitrex

it was probably 10 years ago so I can't remember, I just remember how it worked.

an Fe55 source and a back illuminated CCD from E2V, an FPGA clocked out frames and the energy in pixels with empty neighbors were histogrammed

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Do you remember who started the war? I live alone now for 3 years and 4 months and I would not offer what I can cook to anyone, it is barely good enough to feed the pig (me). However our neighbours keep on assaulting us, Ivan just brought me a plate of a very tasty meal which, well, smelled so good me pig ate it almost immediately after I had fed myself with by something just edible (30 minutes of baking, comes ready). Cycling might compensate a little but it is cold now and I don't venture very far (did something like 8-10 kilometers today though).

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Nov 2021 17:26:13 +0200) it happened Dimiter_Popoff snipped-for-privacy@tgi-sci.com wrote in <slp0um$nmr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Sure but that is just coding and some hardware design, been there done that . Hope that does not hurt your feelings,

it runs on 2 Eneloop AA batteries.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

And perpetual motion devices.

We had to keep "patent proofs"/first articles just to show that the idea actually did work and had been reified.

If you work for a big behemoth whose competitors can either be intimidated by an army of lawyers, then the overhead of patents may be worthwhile. For most companies, though, I think devoting your energies and re$ource$ on new product ideas and product improvements is a more useful application of those things.

Designing in a market where "IP theft" is common is an entirely different experience than designing in one where it isn't. Protecting from such theft requires a different mindset and completely different set of abilities than just designing "the product at hand". It also requires updating those skills continuously as new attacks are developed. As technology advances, the cost to the attacker is forever falling.

I can't recall anyone ever "stealing" the design for a medical device because the folks who purchase them want an "established firm" to back the product AND tend to have monies available to pay what may be inflated prices.

OTOH, *supplies* for those products can be counterfeited and it requires diligence on the part of the purchasing authority to ensure he's not compromised HIS company by purchasing some "off brand" clone of a Tony.

I know a company that sells little bottles of distilled water as part of their consumables for a device. As distilled water is relatively easy to "counterfeit", the bottles are single use and "chipped". Buying counterfeits is thus discouraged. And, refilling "empties" isn't possible.

If you want to purchase that piece of equipment, you do so with full knowledge that you will be locked into purchasing distilled water from that vendor in order to continue USING that instrument.

It's no worse than having a "subscription" to a software service that perpetuates the payments.

Reply to
Don Y

I only wished you good luck, why do you expect me to have hurt feelings.

I saw this the first time you posted it on this thread, like I said many people have been toying with NaI and sort of MCA-s. Which is why I wished you good luck, like everything else doing the work is just doing the work - here hardware design, algorithm development, coding. Once you are ready I'll be happy to take a look.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Specifically from St. Demetrios of Thessaloniki, the great 4th C soldier-martyr, now patron of the city of Thessaloniki.

Amazing guy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

widely known as one of Nature's least perfect foods. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The old lithium-drifted ones had way cooler names though: Ge:Li and Si:Li, pronounced "jelly" and "silly" respectively.

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Nov 2021 19:35:01 +0200) it happened Dimiter_Popoff snipped-for-privacy@tgi-sci.com wrote in <slp8g7$i95$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Been in use since .. lemme see asm files are from 2011 Could use a new PMT. Seems not to be on my website, there are so many projects I did, sometimes I find a box and have no idea what it was, or what I called it. Maybe there was a reason I did not put it on the site, neither did I publish the code of the IR target aquisition and tracking PIC project (tat_pic) for obvious reasons. This one sits next to me just a button push away. Works for me. hope yours does for you :-)

More explained here:

Jan Panteltje

It was obvious you had made this a long time ago, my good luck wishes were not about it, I hoped that much was obvious. My MCA-s rarely if ever work for me, they work for our customers - must be doing well, we have no complaints or returned units. What is the differential nonlinearity of your MCA with a PIC? This matters also for the lowest grade scintillator targeted MCAs so you should have the figure.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

PS this is from 2010 just a test:

More explained here: