Level of the DSL pilot tone?

Hello Michael,

My DSL modem (Westell Wirespeed) does not have an IP address :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I think those are the important line specs, especially the attenuation and noise margin. Your line looks much better than mine. A speed test last week suggests that 5Mb/s is possible on my line but if your figures are consistent it looks as though you could get the full 8Mb/s.

Umm.... 1967996 Kbytes downloaded in 20 days Frank? That's 96 Megabytes/day, every day. Exactly *what* are you downloading? :)

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

A bit of Googling suggests that if your model did have an IP address then the normal factory default could be .

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Does your ISP have some private newsgroups? Earthlink does, and information can be traded about things that are hard to answers from your ISP. For questions about DSL they have news:earthlink.support.highspeed.dsl which is only available to their customers.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Tony,

In my case it timed out and the manual states that this modem does not have any IP address to access it :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Michael,

I'll have to look but not on their server AFAIK. I am a "legacy customer", kind of the first to sign up for DSL out here. Then came two corporate mergers/acquisitions so it's all different HW now. Pacific Bell -> SBC -> AT&T.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Joerg writes

Dispose of it in an environmentally-sound way and acquire one that wasn't designed by idiots. My Belkin works OK.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I think the standard default is http://192.168.0.1/

...Jim Thompson

"Tony Williams" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@ledelec.demon.co.uk...

Ha! That's quite a bit indeed - I'm surprised it is that much. I have no idea, can't imagine it really. Perhaps a loose mouse button ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Hello Jim,

Times out as well :-(

There is a Barricade router in between but since you also have one of these and if your modem IP address works then I guess my modem really doesn't have an address. Does that make it homeless?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

Why? Other than having no IP address it works fine since many years, braved thunderstorms and all that. For me reliability is the most important parameter of anything technical and this Westell modem sure has delivered.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Frank Bemelman writes

Lay off the ecdysiast prestidigitateuses!

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I misread, http://192.168.0.1/ is the Barricade Router IP address.

You can read YOUR IP address in the System Status section of the Barricade Router "page".

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Joerg writes

I thought you wanted to fix a problem and people told you to find the IP address. If it's working perfectly, bully for you!

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Joerg writes

Not necessarily, but it won't qualify for welfare.

A Japanese vagrant successfully persuaded a judge to make the government accept an address 'Park Bench 3, So-and-so park, Tokyo'.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Hello Jim,

Mine has a different IP address. However, the IP address in the system status is just the one my ISP assigned for a given session. I am on dynamic IP so it'll change frequently. But that's not the modem's address.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

An engineer in California who was hardcore unemployed in the early 90's said he ultimately had no choice but to move to a campground to make ends meet. He said it was very difficult to convince the employment department or whoever handles unemployment accept that address.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:w4pFg.582$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

But you have an ethernet connection between your router and modem, so I would think it has an IP address as well -> the assigned IP address from your provider. But then, it only passes on packets, so it doesn't do you any good ;) It may have diagnostics, but perhaps not accessible through a tcp/ip connection and a common protocol.

Must be your karma, always having the weirdest of the weirdest hardware ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

I'm up 24/7, so mine only changes if I choose to.

It doesn't need one. It's plugged into the WAN port. Plug it into any other port on the Barricade and see what happens ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

So you did watch it ;)