lessons taught

I see board houses offering "embedded components" here and there. Never been brave enough to ask for a quote...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

"Hard annealed" is an oxymoron.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Grin.. In case you haven't noticed, I'm pretty much the definition of an oxymoron. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

--
I hadn't noticed; what do you mean?
Reply to

Oh, well communication is not my strong suit. I'm always interposing hard for soft, red for green, and plus for minus.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Those are just "errors of action", and regular people make one about once e very half hour - when sober. My wife's "drunk file" had exactly the same ki nds of errors, but more of them. Our internal communication system is noisy , and bits get flipped pretty often. Error detection/correction catches mos t of them, but not all of them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

every half hour - when sober. My wife's "drunk file" had exactly the same kinds of errors, but more of them. Our internal communication system is noi sy, and bits get flipped pretty often. Error detection/correction catches m ost of them, but not all of them.

Well I seem to do it every other sentence. I grab the wrong word out of my brain. My wife asks where the wheel barrow is. I think I left it out behind our barn, I can see it in my minds eye. But now I go to tell her, and stored in the same part of my brain with "barn" is "shop", "garage" and "shed". (All places where I keep my junk.) And so the word that comes out could very well be any of those. And for whatever reason I don't notice any error.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We math-science types tend to not have great language skills. But we do usually manage to communicate with some precision. Which is why things work.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

nce every half hour - when sober. My wife's "drunk file" had exactly the sa me kinds of errors, but more of them. Our internal communication system is noisy, and bits get flipped pretty often. Error detection/correction catche s most of them, but not all of them.

Unlikely. but it does get attention when you do it.

Math-science types can get away with limited language skills, but there's n o reason why some of us can't have excellent language skills. Peter Medawar and Richard Feynman were famously literate.

Otherwise we wouldn't make it as math-science types.

This puts the cart before the horse. If we couldn't communicate with consid erable precision, the stuff we get built wouldn't work - an in fact wouldn' t work the same way from one example to the next.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

nce every half hour - when sober. My wife's "drunk file" had exactly the sa me kinds of errors, but more of them. Our internal communication system is noisy, and bits get flipped pretty often. Error detection/correction catche s most of them, but not all of them.

Oh, sure get me in front of a white board where I can dance around, draw gr aphs, scribble equations and everything is fine... (Well I still might say diode instead of transistor or something.) Writing has always been hard for me. I see things as these big messy hair balls, things connected and tied to each other every which way. And then to write about it I've got to pick a thread and try and follow it. Make the hair ball a linear thread... or a few threads... I just don't do that well. It certainly impacted my career choices. Academia, puts a premium on publishing papers.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Visualization is non-verbal intelligence. There's another non-verbal skill that is visualization of dynamic causality, like Vannever Bush's old-fashioned analog computer that solved differential equations.

My wife is a speech pathologist and she notes how many techy guys have speech problems, and she can spot autistic tendencies in kids and their techy dads. If she can corner the Google stuttering therapy biz, we're rich.

I can read and write fine (assuming I use a spell checker) but I can't process sounds well. I can't understand accents, mis-hear words, can't separate words from background moise, and French nearly washed me out of high school. I don't care for music. It's weird how brains specialize. Female engineers and scientists don't seem to have the speech problems that guys do.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's because they listen better and don't suffer from testosterone
poisoning.
Reply to
John Fields

I think that some people think in words and sentences , while others see images. I tend to see things. So on a word association test when the word apple is said, I see an apple mostly red but some yellow or green near the stem. So the first thing that comes into my mind is not a word. It is an image.

A similar thing happens when looking for a tool. I see the tool, and look for things that are the right color, size , and shape. On aptitude tests I do well with spacial visualization, and poorly on vocabulary. And especially poor in spelling.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

:

e:

t once every half hour - when sober. My wife's "drunk file" had exactly the same kinds of errors, but more of them. Our internal communication system is noisy, and bits get flipped pretty often. Error detection/correction cat ches most of them, but not all of them.

Practice makes perfect. It took me years to get good at working out what I wanted to say, and how to organise that into a continuous sequence of more or less connected ideas

It's form of non-verbal intelligence.

Differential analysers are old-fashioned now, but that's because it's now quicker to numerically integrate differential equations in LTSpice than it is to built the hardware to do it in analog.

To a speech pathologist, thinking before you speak is dis-fluency, and clas sed as a problem.

Odd. Kids have that problem, but most adults can manage to compensate for a ccent.

We all do that. Speech is about 80% redundant to cope with it.

Nobody can. Some people cope better than others, but enough back-ground noi se makes the job impossible.

It's not electronics so you couldn't see the point.

Tastes differ. My wife has a colleague who writes and performs very modern music. Sometimes we are obliged to listen to it. We find it a chore.

I'm sure that some do, but women in general do seem to have better social s kills than men. I can't say that engineers and scientists that I've run int o have had noticeable speech problems, or at least no more than the general population, where it's rare.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Grin, When I have to go in for dental work I like to have some

3-D design thing to think about. I take my brain away and go think about how this bit can fit in there.. as the Doc mucks about in my mouth.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

My dentist trims the 3-D design of crowns etc. in front of me on a big color monitor, so you could get a two-for-one.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany