USB Serial Adapters from eBay

I have bought a number of serial port adapters from eBay over the years and many claim to use Prolific or other name brand chips when in fact they are counterfeit. I bought one batch after specifically asking the seller if they were the HXD version which they confirmed. They in fact were CH340 (or CH341, I forget) chips and worked ok in my system once I found the right drivers, but clearly weren't Prolific.

I recently needed a couple more TTL terminated USB serial adapters and didn't want to mess with the bazillion counterfeits on eBay. So this time I searched for PL2303TA and found one which claimed Win8 support (a pretty good clue they are genuine) at a very low price ($2.35 each).

They arrived today and they seem to have genuine PL2303TA chips in them. They work with my Win8 PC, a Win7 PC and the rPi. I ran the CheckChipVersion tool on the Win7 machine and it verifies the part is genuine.

I'm so glad to have finally found some decent USB serial ports without paying $20.

The only complaint is that they use very thin wire, either 28 or 30 gauge. At least they don't smell. I bought some ribbon cables with various single pin terminations and they actually stink!

--

Rick
Reply to

I use cheap Chinese things too, probably not genuine, but found that they didn't work with Windows 7 or 8 unless you used an old driver. If so, then Google PL2303_Prolific_Vista_332012.exe dated 2008, install it and they'll work.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

These counterfeits have caused Prolific and nearly all users a significant amount of trouble. I don't wish to encourage them by buying their products. In fact, the ones I bought which were misrepresented resulted in my getting a total refund and so were a net loss for the vendors. If they say they use Prolific chips why not hit them back? Heck, at $2.35 for a genuine device, there is no real incentive to use the counterfeits.

--

Rick
Reply to

Absolutely. But if you do have parts, bought in good faith, which used to work but don't work with Windows 7+, then the old driver is the answer. Or you could get all self-righteous and burn them. Your choice.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Don't do that, then.

Digi-Key and Mouser both sell FTDI USB-to-serial cables for about $20 each and I just buy them. The $17 cost delta between that cable and finding a random eBay one that works more than pays for the time I would have spent screwing around on eBay.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Finally some rational thought!

Time dicking around costs money too. ...Jim Thompson

I had some such parts, but I tend to tuck them away in places that I can't recall and so need a fresh supply periodically. I think my older ones are stored with a test fixture somewhere.

Like I said, at $2.35 each I don't mind buying a few more now and then. I also don't like the hassle of installing old drivers (unsigned) on a new machine. But then if you have an XP machine you can't install the newer drivers at all I believe. So then you are stuck with the old drivers and I think the older cables.

--

Rick
Reply to

$20 x some arbitrary quantity gets to be more money than I am willing to toss at the problem.

I have lots of time actually. Finding a reliable source is useful.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm a fan of usconverters , just because they have ones that work with WIN7,8, and ones that dont. ( they even tell you )

Martin Riddle

That's a Forth background for you. While I don't use Forth much these days (Customers? Pah!) nearly every embedded system I've worked on has at lest one spare UART showing all sorts of diagnostics on an ANSI terminal.

My latest has six uP's with six diagnostics ports which the end customer doesn't see.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I won't say Newegg is counterfeit-proof but I'll gladly pay the premium for improved protection against counterfeits. YMMV.

I have bought several of the $4.70 RS485 adapters and they all work fine. Wish they had a TX/RX/GND only RS232 equivalent.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Sure. We often use a spare USB or sometimes even a LAN port for diagnostics. ...but there is always a spare serial port wired to a header (sometimes unpopulated) just in case.

Reply to
krw