LED garage lights

Bright lights!

Two of these: MPJA # 31325 OP "1000 Lumen, 10W, Super Bright, Cool White LED Module" running at 1/2 power outperform two of these: 20 Watt, 24 Inch T12 Cool White Fluorescent Bulb, in my garage. I haven't measured it, but everyone who has seen A/B testing (fluorescent vs LED modules) said "wow, that's much brighter" when the LEDs were on and the fluorescent off. The A/B testing was looking at the floor, not at the modules or the fluorescent tubes.

Here's the details:

I had to replace my old wood garage door. The new steel door looks good, but when open it blocks the ceiling fluorescent (24", 2 bulb) fixture. (The windows in the old door let the light shine through to the floor when the door is up, but the windows in the new door don't line up with the light.)

I installed 10W no-name LED modules (MPJA # 31325 OP "1000 Lumen,

10W, Super Bright, Cool White LED Module") on the inside of the door (the side the faces the garage floor when the door is open) on the center frame members of 2 door panels. The steel frame member is an L shaped 18" long and 2 1/2" wide on one leg of the L, and 2" wide on the other, and is welded to the steel door panel. It's essentially an infinite (but inefficient) heat sink. I hung 2 copper braids made from coaxial cable shield from the ceiling and ran 12.7 volts DC to them. I built a T out of wood and 2 copper (1/2 dia) pipes and installed it on the top panel of the door. When the door is about 2 inches from fully open the copper pipes on the T contact the hanging copper braid. Wires from the pipes on the T connect to the LED modules mounted on two door panel center framing members.

copper copper ==+=== ===+== -------------- | | | | ----------- | | |wood| | | | | | | | | | | ---- | | | door | | | | +-module-+ | . | | . . +-module-+ . . . | | -------------------------------------

I did this to power them:

1N5406 Diodes +12.7V---+---[.5R]--->|--->|--->|--->|---+---[Module]---+ | | | +------[6.8R]---[3V Relay]------+---[Module]---+ | Gnd-----------------------------------------------------+

That drops about 3.9 volts across the resistor and diodes, energizes the 3 volt relay, and delivers about 8.9V to the door mounted modules. They run at a little less than 5 watts each and are bright bright bright!

When the door goes up and the fluorescent light is blocked, the LED modules mounted on the door automatically turn on, and provide more light - a lot more light - than the two 24" fluorescent tubes do when the door is not blocking them.

I was so impressed by the increase in light that I built a "fixture" containing two of the LED modules and mounted it on the ceiling. The "fixture" is just a 36" x 2" x 1/8" aluminum bar with the modules screwed to it and separated by 24". It provides the needed heat sink for the modules.

When the door is closed, the relay transfers power to the ceiling modules instead of the modules mounted on the door. The ceiling modules have the same voltage dropping circuit as above, but without the relay.

The ceiling fluorescent light switch also controls a receptacle, and the 12V power supply is plugged in to that, so when the ceiling light is switched off the LED modules are also off. For A/B testing I plug the power supply into a different receptacle.

The lighting now is far better than it ever was. I get a 15 degree C temperature rise, measured at the module wiring terminal on both the door and ceiling modules, after 2 hours of continuous operation. The datasheet I found says 60 C max, so they should be ok even on the hottest days.

I owe thanks to Jon Elson whose post about replacing his fluorescents with LEDs gave me the impetus to experiment.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ed, Is this wood/copper pipe assembly a switch to turn on the LEDs? It's not clear to "me", what this is all about. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Hi Mike,

The pipes are contacts to bring 12 volts to the door. When the door goes up and travels to its final position, the copper pipes attached to the door come into contact with two pieces of copper braid spaced about 12" apart that are attached to the ceiling. The supply voltage is connected to the copper braid, gnd to one braid, +12 to the other.

Edge view door in closed position

ehsjr

A garage would be the last place to using a sparking contacts.

Some amount of gasoline fumes in the air and some sparks and ......

Reply to
upsidedown

Those fumes are supposed to be contained these days.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Won't that copper eventually develop an oxide layer? I'm not sure 12V is enough potential to keep this working. Usually the garage lights are on an assembly that ends up under the door when it's up.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You're sure dumb enough to count on it.

Reply to
krw

Refuel your lawn mover on a hot day in the garage and then open the garage door ;-)

Reply to
upsidedown

His circuit doesn't make contact until the door is fully open, by then there is enough ventilation to eliminate any chance of vapor ignition.

"When the door is about 2 inches from fully open the copper pipes on the T contact the hanging copper braid."

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, I think it will oxidize over time. If so I'll have to rub it with a Scotchbrite pad.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Or with a copper braid.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts
[snip]

Below 18" from the floor, yes. Above that you should be OK.

Ever wonder why gas furnaces and hot water tanks installed in garages are mounted on stands?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.

Microswitch?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.

Nope. The problem was to get 12V DC to the inside of the garage door without wires connecting the inside of the door LEDs to the supply throughout the travel of the door as it raised/lowered. The door is steel, so energizing the tracks that the rollers ride in is a non-starter - that would be a short circuit. The only time that 12V needs to be there is when the door is fully open.

The hanging braid idea works perfectly. In addition, the voltage drop across the limiting circuit is used to energize a relay which transfers the 12V to the ceiling LEDs instead of the door LEDs when the door goes down, so no microswitch is needed.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr