LED drivers

Do you know of any lossless ones?

My experience is that input energy is greater than output energy, due to the following losses:

  1. I-squared-R losses from current flowing through the battery's internal resistance, both charging and discharging.

  1. Charging sometimes does not stop until after charge is complete. The energy in the excess amunt of charging is all converted to heat.

  2. Batteries have some self-discharge, especially rechargeable ones.

  1. In addition to the above, I have seen another one: Hysteresis of voltage between charging and discharging, in lead-acid batteries. For example, a 12V lead-acid battery when 80% of the way charged can have a voltage of 12.6 volts while discharging and 13.2-13.5 volts while charging, even at current low enough for I*R drop to be less than .1 volt.

Don Klipstein

I never understand when people make efforts to be jerks.

John

On a sunny day (Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:03:44 +0000 (UTC)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in :

Yes, sure, electricity use differs from country to country, I think UK also uses a lot of electricity for heating. They really need to do something about that efficiency... I personally think that by having big power plants generate electricity, and not having people burning fuel in their homes, you keep the air cleaner in the cities, need no chimneys, and it is safer too. In fact excess heat (that is where the other 'half' of the power plants output goes), can be used to warm cities. IIRC the city of Almere in the Netherlands has a hot water system like that to warm the town, there is not even a natural gas connection in the houses. The CO2 produced is sometimes used to help plants grow in local glass houses, that increases agricultural production. There is no need to waste energy.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So! How do you explain yourself? You constantly go out of your way to be a jerk. I guess you view it that you are eminently successful... thus your only saving grace ?:-)

I am presently inebriated... long 2.5 Margarita lunch. Tomorrow morning I will be sober. Tomorrow morning you will still be a jerk ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Probably because for you it's effortless...

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
Actually, it's just the opposite; he has to go out of his way _not_ to
be.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

You guys have a regular geezer love-fest going on. Enjoy!

John

It's more like a roast, and you're on the spit.

A weenie-roast at that! :-)

Tell us some more about that magical battery, OK?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

...Or capacitor, for that matter.

The power goes somewhere, it just goes where you can't necessarily see it (i.e., not giving off an equivalent amount of heat or EM radiation).

Some people like to think transmission lines defy Kirchoff's laws too, but they just don't use the right models. ;)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Nope. It's just that, unless you decide to be civil, we're going to systematically trash your ass. ...Jim Thompson

Apparently not for thought processes, however. ^ some

Reply to
Mycelium

I'll take one bushel of negative energy, please...

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

Doesn't feel so good when you are on the receiving end, does it?

Reply to
Herbert John "Jackie" Gleaso

Leave it to this dippy jerk to idolize the bad guy in a Steven Segal movie.

Tomorrow morning you will still be you. That is your biggest problem.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

lies

t so

8

driver

it in

input

gs

ay

They'll incinerate John Larkin with concentrated power of their massive intellect?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Crude insults from a bunch of geezer-clods don't diminish me, it dimishes them. I can't imagine where they got the idea that they matter.

John

Do I have to pay you to take it?

John

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

this site offers some inexpensive LED drivers,models for battery or line operation.I've ordered a couple of CREE LEDs from them,shipped from Hong Kong.

They have high power LEDs,reflector/collimators,driver modules,flashlight bodies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hell, no it follows DimBulb everywhere he goes.

Reply to
krw

The only thing that follows you is the inability to construct a proper sentence.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever