Learned New Term 'Future Proof'

Anticipate the future and design it in.

A betamax VCR with a USB port. :P

Reply to
D from BC

Commodore 64 with PCI Express.

John

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Prius V with a flex fuel option to run on Dilithium Crystals?

Martin Riddle

Gasoline-powered 600hp luxury sedan ;-) ...Jim Thompson

If it was really 'Flex Fuel' it would run on 'Folgers' Crystals!. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

A resume' or job application with a joystick and a prescription for Ritalin.

A US tax code written entirely in spanish.

A tenth generation anything that actually works as advertised.

Reply to
mpm

I wonder what it will be in 10 years. ...in a state that produces/refines no petroleum.

Reply to
JeffM

Mr. Fusion?

Reply to
krw

That would be an improvement over the one we now have, written in Greek.

OrCad V10 worked, sorta. Maybe Windows will work by Win10.

Reply to
krw

Sigh. "We've replaced Mr. Scott's Dilithium Crystals with new Fogers Crystals. Now, to see if he notices the change..."

Michael A. Terrell

For the younger readers... snipped from

Another famous advertising campaign from the 1970s and early 1980s took the viewer inside various gourmet restaurants as a voice-over (played by Bryan Clark) whispered, "We are here at (insert name of four-star restaurant), where we've secretly replaced the fine coffee they usually serve with Folgers Crystals. Let's see if anyone can tell the difference!"

Reply to
D from BC

and the SNL spoof with Chris Farley (RIP).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Something carved in stone......

RL

Reply to
legg

This is a quite common requirement in industrial control systems, in which contractual spare part requirement is for at least 10 years and systems are used up to a few decades. Unfortunately the production time for a specific component can be as short as 1-3 years.

With the current JOT ideology, spare part inventories are a no no, things get nasty, camouflaging the spare part cache from the bean counters :-)

When selecting a component, you really have to be careful when selecting a component. You really have to stay away even from a good product, if it is produced by a small company that might go bankrupt or be bought by a competitor, killing the product line.

For this reason, industrial systems are quite "boring".

Reply to
upsidedown

AKA "JTL technology"

At least that's how it usually works for me.

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

...and an HDMI output connector.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

If a certain Knot Head would OK the pipeline and allow some drilling it would go down a lot.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Gasoline prices on Long Island were about $1 more per gallon than in Arizona. We have no refineries. The are many refineries in New Jersey. Yet most New Yorker's will claim they live in the most wonderful state. Personally I think they are of the group P.T. Barnum purportedly defined ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I challenge you to point to a dirtier, more energy-intensive way to produce hydrocarbon fuel than the Canadian tar sands. It would meet only a few days' worth of the USA's consumption. ...and the product will likely be exported from the USA anyway.

We who live in the Sun Belt get ~1kW/cu.meter of energy onto our roofs in the hours when energy demand is highest. It only requires that we collect it for use.

Residents of the Great Plains states know well how much wind energy there is there to harvest.

Both solar and wind produce zero pollution and those are distributed (can be constructed in tiny increments).

There was a recent big breakthrough >Gasoline prices on Long Island were about $1 more per gallon

...and none of the associated pollution in either place. "Outsourcing the downside".

A state often referred to in terms like "The armpit of the Atlantic States".

If you lived in NJ (or in a NY which had refineries), you would make sure you didn't live anywhere near a refinery ...while looking the other way on environmental abuse. The state boosterism you do is a sham. . . "Yorkers" only needs an apostrophe if it is possessive.

Reply to
JeffM