is nichrome wire corrosion proof?

I have a need to use some nichrome wire for an outdoor project where it will be partially exposed to the elements (mainly humidity extremes but also might get wet at times). Is it corrosion proof? Thank you.

Reply to
Ruk

Nothing, not even fine gold, is corrosion-*proof*. But, there are grades of Nichrome from -20 to -80, as the nickel content increases, its general resistance to corrosion also increases - with caveats.

Nichrome-80 is suitable for exposed use and corrosion-resistant at very high temperatures, and is most used for critical applications. Nichrome-60 is most commonly used in household devices such as toasters and space-heaters, as well as back-up heat in older heat-pumps and electric house furnaces and similar. Nichrome-20 is often used for fasteners and clamps that do not carry power, but must be heat-resistant and relatively corrosion-resistant.

For high-humidity environments, specifically, N-60 is the most commonly used - as a specific example - the heating element in a clothes dryer.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

It is water resistant and does not corrode unless it gets very hot.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Wolstenholme

Careful! That depends very much on the formula. -60, -70 & -80 are formulated to be corrosion-resistant *WHEN* hot. -70 has the highest operating temperature.

tells some, but by no means all of the story.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Ruk wrote: =========

** Can't you coat is in a lacquer to keep water off ? Will it get hot?

So many questions, so few answers.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

My house has a nichrome wire bathroom wall heater. No corrosion in about 50 years in a rather wet and humid bathroom environment. However, I'm not sure what nichrome will do in a marine (salt) environment. My guess(tm) is that it's ok but it might help to check if you're using it in a marine environment.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Nichrome. Lacquer. Water. Think about it. "Water damages lacquer by turning it milky and hazy. Finishers call this milkiness "blushing" when it occurs while the finish is being applied. Water also can be responsible for the white rings produced by hot or wet glasses and pots left standing on a lacquered tabletop."

Nichrome is chosen, typically, for its heating quality under power. Lacquer is generally not a heat-resistant product. Lacquer is also not a water-resistant product as normally formulated.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

------------------------

** Acrylic lacquer is waterproof.

** In electronics it is used for its zero tempco of resistance.

FFS I posted question, not statements.

YOU should do the same - asshole.

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Acrylic" lacquer is not lacquer.

The correct formula Nichrome to the use needs no protection. It would make sense to choose the correct formula rather than to go to heroic measures to protect the wrong one.

Heating would obviate the applied 'protection' in any case.

Eschew needless complexity - William of Occam

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Peter Wanker is not Human wrote: ====================

** ROTFLMAFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

** What use ?????

** Bollocks .

Wot a f****ng nut case IDIOT

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

We have four (4) carpets made in Egypt that we purchased in Saudi Arabia. They are of a typical "oriental" pattern and may be seen here:

However, they are as much an Oriental Rug as 'Acrylic' lacquer is lacquer. Being as they are made of polypropylene on a machine. Lacquer, to anyone that restores vintage radio is *only* a liquid made of shellac dissolved in alcohol. Synthetic 'lacquer' is entirely something else, of course.

Drongo: Define your terms; it will look less the idiot that you are.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Peter Wanker is a Ridiculous IDIOT wrote: ========================================

** But do any of them fly ? If so - go take a ride on one.
** FFS you illiterate, autistic bloody fool - read what I *actually* wrote !!!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

As it happens, you wrote a whole lot of garbage to make yourself look useful. But had nothing to do with the question at hand.

Drongo:

A fool, a simpleton, an idiot.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to