Layout person in Atlanta?

Subject says it all--I have a customer in Atlanta who needs somebody to lay out a couple of my front end boards. Any good leads would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

In case you can't find any, I often do layout guidance via Go-To-Meeting and such web conferencing services. Then it doesn't matter where the layouter is located. Works great. If it's noise-sensitive stuff like yours then usually is the designer (meaning you ...) has to participate in the layout process.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's what colored pencils are for.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Ha! Red takes it out, green puts it in. Right?

Reply to
tm

If you dont find one in ATL I have a guy I've been working with for over 10 years out of MD. We do everything remotely. I do the design, capture,firmware and test here in TX, he does the layout and usually the mechanical folks we use are in NYC.

I will email you his contact info.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Yep. Who needs local? My (chip) layout guy is in Columbus, OH. We meet occasionally... mostly socially (when I fly into Columbus on my way to Huntington, WV, my hometown), hardly ever needed during a job. ...Jim Thompson

The customer would prefer someone local, but agree in general. From my POV having the layout person in the next office would be best--once I have to get in the car it doesn't matter much how far away they are. (My #2 daughter is learning layout, but she isn't ready for client work yet, and anyway she lives in Toronto.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No, different colors for different layers. It works especially well on multiple sheets of frosty mylar, one per layer.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The orange one I use for netlist checks broke off all the time on Saturday. That's the last one from the set I had since 1st grade .

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

(Most of us use Kleenex for that.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Then her desktop is only one Skype connection away from yours. If the client can be convinced and you have the time, this would be the perfect opportunity for her to learn the ropes from dad. Seeing what is critical in a circuit, and most of all why it is and how to tackle that in the layout. As a layouter you can only make decent money if you develop a good understanding how the stuff works electronically. Best of all, in the end you'd have a Hobbs^2 design. Ok, if she is married she'll probably have another name now but still the same family roots.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We're just a couple of blocks from FLAX, a huge art supply store on Market Street. They have lots of engineer-type stuff: grid pad notebooks, seriously good Berol pencils, colored pens and pencils, rulers, lamps, brushes, all kinds of fun shiny stuff. I'll show you.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Is Florida Close enough?

Martin Riddle

She's actually coming up to speed doing some proprietary things, like her brother. They both share the family tendency to learn things by jumping off cliffs and figuring out how to fly on the way down. ;)

One fine day we'll have a product or two, perhaps. We'll see. (That Fulfilment by Amazon thing looks pretty tempting as a way to test the water.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Local would be their preference, but good layout folks are worth knowing, regardless of where they live, so I'd be interested in talking with a highly skilled Floridian, for sure.

My guy up here got a day job making biggish bucks, so he doesn't want to moonlight anymore. (Good for him, bad for me. A net positive, for sure.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But first we have to have a pint of OBA.

Sometimes I wonder how they do it. Last time I saw a Dollar Store across from Hotel Whitcomb on Market Street. Hardly anyone went in there the whole 2h we had a biz lunch in the restaurant there. With the high rent in San Francisco, how do they survive?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You, maybe. I don't drink anything that I can't see through.

FLAX is usually busy. There are a lot of artistes in this burg. I'd expect the dollar store to not last long. My favorite Chinese sandwich shop, the only good corned beef on egg bread west of Manhattan, is gone now.

The Whitcomb is practically invisible under a forest of cranes. 1br apartments are going for over $3K a month, so everybody is building apartments. They will all be done about the same time... about when the millionth iPad app is released.

Property values are crazy, so we're going to raise our rent on ourselves.

How was the food at the Whitcomb?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

But Bay Area folks only trust air when they can see it :-)

That's because tech companies are buying up everything. Even fortune cookie factories ...

It's all fed by cheap interest, courtesy of our government printing money like crazy. It's nuts.

We _will_ see a sequel of the real estate bubble burst. I herewith predict that. Too many people have learned almost nothing from the past.

It was ok. Not stellar, but the restaurant was kind of fancy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A client president and good friend once said: The best projects are those where you get a serious knot in your stomach the minute you ink the deal.

Make sure you have product liability insurance before jumping in. Some people do very stupid stuff and then there's always an ambulance chaser. "It did not say on there that a 2-year old can't stick it in his mouth. At least not in Spanish".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Interesting busboy today at King's Seafood... Mexican/Chinese/Italian ancestry ;-) ...Jim Thompson