Lasers-n-LCDs

I'm trying to do some research on getting a laser (pointer like thingy) to show up on an LCD and/or Plasma screen. Any ideas for a place to go to get the low-down on the problem? I'd rather stick with red (650nm) for power reasons but it looks like green (532nm) is a bit better, here. A good source for laser modules would also be appreciated.

Reply to
krw

The surface quality and 'light transprency' of the screen face medium itself means that you will likely never get where you want to be directly.

The only way I can think of is to have a layer behind the screen capture the pointer position and then feedback through software to artificially light a specific pixel set a specific color, so it would appear that the light itself lit the screen face.

Similar to the light rifle thing in video games. They used to detect the light spot position within the CRT itself, and feed that to the software, which was decidedly easier than this "layer behind the screen" thing.

You're welcome... no charge.

Reply to
Naomi Price

It took them this long to give us high res LCD displays, and they are now moving toward great, transparent touch sensitivity, but sending 'over-illuminated pixel' feedback back to the system is asking a lot of them. (not really)

'Over-illuminated backlight LED pixels', however, could be vectored on. Since they use LEDs to backlight now, they could use a properly sized array of those to gather feedback from a light device shooting into the screen from afar. That is the perfect place for it too. A separate backlight engine and feedback system would remain separate from the current graphic system, so no gamers would cry.

It would work great, actually.

Reply to
Naomi Price

Another way is to develop a PS3 presentation application for their pointer system. Likely already out there somewhere.

I'll see if the std photo album app works any differently with the pointing, position sense device in hand and 'lit up'.

Reply to
Naomi Price

Perhaps the same general concept could be expanded into that app. Anything that converts electrical energy into light also works the other way; the efficiency is not too good to say the least, but a change in the drive requirements for "that" pixel (or pixels if need) should be the key..

Reply to
Robert Baer