Larkin's quadrille paper, Jetson style

:engineers at the University of Illinois :have developed a silver-inked rollerball pen :that allows users to jot down electrical circuits and interconnects :on paper, wood and other surfaces. : :"This is an important step toward enabling desktop manufacturing :(or personal fabrication) using very low cost, ubiquitous printing tools."

Reply to
JeffM

There have been roller-ball pens with conductive ink for decades. And flex circuits with silkscreened silver and carbon conductive inks.

"The key advantage of the pen is that the costly printers and printheads typically required for inkjet or other printing approaches are replaced with an inexpensive, hand-held writing tool,"

This is equivalent to saying that monks with quill pens are less expensive than printing presses.

These conductive ink things don't generally solder well.

More university press-release nonsense.

John

Another case of reinventing the wheel. I played with conductive ink in a felt marker back in the 70's. It was useless then and probably still is. Art

Reply to
Artemus

John Lark>These conductive ink things don't generally solder well.

We can hope that *that* is the breakthrough.

I had that response figured out almost to the word. 8-)

Reply to
JeffM

MIT announces some equally impressive breakthrough about daily. If 1% of them worked, we'd be living in paradise by now.

John

I am rather surprised that there seems to be nobody who'd at least pull the really loco ones before they get to the press. Too many "pie in the sky" type press releases aren't exactly beneficial when it comes to the reputation of a university.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

And silver oxidises, and stops conducting.

NT

Reply to
NT

Do they have transistor and mosfet pens? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think that "reputation" is sort of in the mind of the beholder.

I can think of at least one demographic who slavers for pie in the sky. They want it so badly that they'll happily spend your last dollar on it! (but never their own, of course.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The Graduation of Jim Thompson? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Who told you that it stops conducting?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

These work OK for certain PC board repairs (including flexible boards). But I don't know how well these would work for anything other than the simplest layout.

>> Insert witty message here
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Tulane and BU announce some equally impressive breakthrough about daily. If 1% of them worked, we'd be living in paradise by now :-) ...Jim Thompson