Largest popular SMD IC package

On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Mar 2021 07:10:29 -0800 (PST)) it happened mkr5000 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

TO220 ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So I don't spend hours searching. You guys would know --

What is the largest (ease of solderability, in case "I" need to do it) and popular (as in, generally in stock). IC package?

(Soic maybe?) Hell, I lost track. -- T H A N K S

Reply to
mkr5000

D2PAK!

Reply to
jlarkin

The full-size (50 mil pitch) SO packages are easy to probe and solder and desolder.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Tue, 09 Mar 2021 07:40:51 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you think about it you may as well use DIL 40 pins as all you have to do is fold the end of the pins back.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think there are gadgets to do that. Seems like a nuisance.

We just ordered a "selective soldering" machine to automatically solder thru-hole parts. It's sort of a numerically controlled mini solder wave. So we can use thru-hole connectors and such, not incurr a lot of hand labor, and free up feeders on the pick-and-place. One connector gobbles up a lot of skinny feeder locations, and most connectors don't pick well.

Our Boss Laser just arrived too.

jlarkin

A midget compared to TO268.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

SOIC and QFP are fairly easy to handla, some power ICs are in D2PAK which is basically a cropped TO220, SOT23 is also fairly easy to handle and used by some low pin-count devices.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

For 8 pin stuff get the SOIC-8, that has the biggest pin spacing and size. If I make my own pcb's, i just make longer pads and can solder without much trouble.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

SOIC (50 mil pitch) is dead easy. Buy some good fresh solder braid (eg. Chemtronics) in a couple widths and (with a reasonable size solder tip and reasonable size solder) you're golden.

Finer stuff is do-able, but avoid leadless packages unless you want to put a bit more work/equipment into it.

Currently running low on solder paste, have not been able to get it from the nice lady at the market because of the Mexican beer thing.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

We use one mosfet that's rated for 1000 watts and 1000 amps peak, IXFH400N075. But it's not surface mount.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Tue, 09 Mar 2021 09:48:48 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Looks very impressive, no idea what it does though?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje