Is there anything wrong with running a trace between the pads of another component?

Right: usually I care about voltage drop before I care about trace heating, and if you keep the voltage drop down, the heating is no big deal. Usually.

John

I've designed a few oven-type things where I wanted to get current into/out of a box with minimum heat loss. It turns out that brass is better than anything else I could find, more like 300,000 (k/w)/ohm.

This is a serious issue in cryogenics, getting signals up/down a temperature gradient with minimal heat transfer [1], but the situation is more complex, since both r and theta per unit length change a lot as a function of temperature.

John

[1] Liquid nitrogen costs about as much as beer, and liquid helium costs about as much as whiskey.

"John Larkin" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

who

Oh yes. But this isn't the typical design review :-) I thought of this, because at a design review I once saw half the audiance jumping on their notebook when I "calculated" the resitance of a track and had to explain how to do this. I'm always amazed at how little it takes to be a guru.

And which one tastes best? I mean LN or LH.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

We could start a group project, to create a file (eventually a book?) of assorted lore, equations, rules of thumb, handy approximations, tricky algorithms.

Kinda changes the meaning of "a cold one."

John

performance.

I think that i would call that more on the order of senior project in a truly well built curriculum.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller