Is there anything wrong with coupling these two circuits?

Some of you may have seen my earlier posts regarding two of the Velleman mini kits that perform sound to light.

Ideally I want to be able to take a mic level signal and control 2 20w

12v lamps. Just like the classic "light organ" circuit.

(For the curious these are going into Dalek 'ears')

So I built this:

The MK103 mic to LED light flasher

and this:

The 12v light flasher with optoisolator input.

Then I connected one side of the input of the MK114 to the output of the MK103 just after R9. The other input line of the MK114 went to ground.

This seemed to work really well (although I found that running the MK103 at 12v created oscillation in the LED flasher circuit, so I ran the power through a 9v regulator to get it back to running properly).

While I was moving jumpers around I did manage to blow the 557 (T4) transistor in the MK103, this could just have been clumsiness on my part. But it prompts me to ask - is there a mismatch in connecting these two circuits together in this way?

I'm still running the line through both the resistor R9 in the MK103 schematic and R10 in the MK114 - so hopefully current should be limited correctly for the OI.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Kasterborus

"Kasterborus" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

If you raised the power supply of the MK103 to 12V and connected the input of the MK114 parallel to the LEDs of the MK103 it might have caused the transistor damage and blow. Especially when you moved replaced R10 of 1k by a 330 type and turned RV1 of the MK114 too high or too low. You'd better replace LD4 of the MK103 by the LED of MK114s 4N35. You may have to turn RV1 of the MK102 for a usefull light on the MK114. The best value for the LEDs LD1-LD3 to light is not necessarily the best value for the lamps driven by the MK114.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter