Is honey the solution?

Do you have curly fries in Olde England? Civilization is greatly diminished without curly fries.

Reply to
jlarkin

We have something called curly fries. Are they what you mean?

They look like and about as appealing as worms to me!

Or do you mean what we would call crinkle cut chips (which were all the rage in the 1970's here as I recall). Chunky ones and thin cut ones are more common now. I can't recall when I last saw them crinkle cut.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Real (not frozen supermarket) curlies can be wonderful.

Ikeda's tri-tip sandwich with curly fries is worth the 130-mile drive.

A few places here do proper french fries, skinny and crispy and served in a fancy metal cone thing lined with newspaper.

Reply to
jlarkin

BTW, Martin,

Do you have a copy of your PHYS362 notes page handy? It's nowhere to be found on the web, even on archive.org. I'm going through old sci.optics posts for the new book, and IIRC you said it had everything about all kinds of dispersive spectrometers.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs (the above email address works)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The French call those Belgian fries.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Weird question to ask. I didn't reply to your post. Was there something in your post that is pertinent to what I wrote?

They're not actually "my" shrimp. I just buy them. It's the seasoning mixture that's "mine". I use anything from 30-40 (when sautéing) count to 16-20 count (on the grill) and have tried larger. I find the larger ones taste just fine. The only issue is it's a bit harder to get enough seasoning on them given the large volume vs. surface, and of course, the higher price not to mention it's hard to find shrimp larger than 16 count.

One thing odd about shrimp in Puerto Rico is they are mostly sold in stores in 12 oz bags rather than 1 lb like in the mainland. The exception is in the Walmart owned Amigo supermarkets. Seems they are a mainland "intrusion" into the PR space and sell what they sell elsewhere. It's the only store where I can find my brand of peanut butter and a couple of other things.

Reply to
Ricky

I can't find my own old post about this but I suspect you mean the JMU astronomy instrumentation course PHYS362. This one?

It must be a decade or so since I wrote about that. If you need it quickly you are best off asking the lecturer who wrote it. Link above.

If you can point me at my own Usenet post it will give me an idea of the date range to look and more importantly the filename!

I might have a copy squirrelled away on my (N-3)rd desktop but at the moment it is doing a good impression of a Norwegian blue parrot.

To be fair there are no warning beeps on boot but it outputs no video signal at all and refuses to connect to the network. However, my recent move to FTTP and new router on a different subnet may explain that.

Firewall running on the old XP machine is very aggressive and paranoid. It hasn't been switched on for a couple of years now...

Reply to
Martin Brown

I looked on ljmu.ac.uk, but there wasn't anything resembling the description.

The original sci.optics post is below.

Thanks

Phil

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: Re: Working Principles of an Echelle Monochromator Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:00:01 -0700 From: Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk>

sci.techniques.spectroscopy,sci.optics,sci.chem References: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>

On Jul 29, 7:49 pm, Farooq W snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > Does anyone know of an very elementary discussion and working > principles of echelle monochromator as a review article/ website as > how the order sorter works and how the spectrum is obtained in a two > dimensional way. I have a chemistry background, most websites are > either too technical company advertisments. Google images for a simple > diagram of an echelle monochromator, leads to mostly astronomy > webpages. I am interested in its applications in atomic spectroscopic > analysis.

The working principles are the same. And astronomers are in effect using it to study amonst other things chemistry in molecular clouds by spectroscopy. You have a bit more signal and don't have to hang the thing on a telescope.

A bit scrappy in style but a webpage covering almost all the ways of splitting and resolving wavelengths is below. Echelle monochromators and Fabry-Perot interferometers are well down the page.

BTW Did you really mean "too technical company advertisments" isn't there an "or" to go in there somewhere? Most company advertisments make grandiose claims for their magical kit and gloss over all the detail.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm not sure now but I think the guy who put that page together may have been David Bersier at Liverpool JMU. Contact details below.

If you drop him a line he might be able to help you or point you at whoever did create that old web page on the various spectroscopy techniques. His webpage says he taught PHYS362 so there is a chance.

If I do find my copy I'll drop you a line privately, but I'm afraid the odds are stacked against it if it was a web URL. PDFs I usually download and keep but I only scrape webpages if I expect to need it again.

Reply to
Martin Brown

(Reposted because the first one hasn't shown up)

I looked on ljmu.ac.uk, but there wasn't anything resembling the description.

The original sci.optics post is below.

Thanks

Phil

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: Re: Working Principles of an Echelle Monochromator Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:00:01 -0700 From: Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk>

Organizati> Does anyone know of an very elementary discussion and working

The working principles are the same. And astronomers are in effect using it to study amonst other things chemistry in molecular clouds by spectroscopy. You have a bit more signal and don't have to hang the thing on a telescope.

A bit scrappy in style but a webpage covering almost all the ways of splitting and resolving wavelengths is below. Echelle monochromators and Fabry-Perot interferometers are well down the page.

BTW Did you really mean "too technical company advertisments" isn't there an "or" to go in there somewhere? Most company advertisments make grandiose claims for their magical kit and gloss over all the detail.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Shall do, thanks.