Lithium Ceramic Batteries

Hi,

what might be the expected lifespan of these in a backup application?

Assuming a very low number of charge-discharge cycles, say 10, and constant charging, are there any significant degradation mechanisms to be taken into account? Given the datasheet doesn't mention that, what would be your guess?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

100 uAH? Why bother? You can get amp-hours of primary lithium that will last decades. Or use a supercap.

The 1812 size is what might make it interesting, but just barely. May as well use flash or eeprom.

Reply to
jlarkin

I have a number of 1uA-ballpark almost always-powered circuit that need to operate without interruption. N*100h is plenty, especially that I can add N chips like that in parallel/series, as needed. This chip is otherwise tailor-made for me, but they don't bother to specify its longevity.

Not really, the self discharge rate is too high for "decades". The best thionyl chloride primary cells last as many as 25 years, then even they are dead.

No hermetic variants available, all drying out. Wet tantalums cannot even remotely approach that level of capacitance and they have terrible leakage/self-discharge currents. Not an option.

The circuits are actually doing something, it's not storage backup. I'd use FRAM/MRAM for that.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

The Tadiran parts claim proven 40 year life.

Indeed, in their marketing materials. The actual datasheets of the XOL line don't go that far. On top of that, they are bulky and solve a different problem than mine: they provide energy even when it's not needed, i.e. in a typical backup scenario. You have plenty of energy an suddenly you have nothing. So the 100uAh capacity can actually be a lot, provided you can depend on this capacity.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Last year, I replaced a lithium cell (Tadiran) that had a 1969 datecode. It failed some time in the last five years, as a clock backup.

Reply to
whit3rd

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sodium Ion is supposed to be the next battery technology.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno