iPhone/iPod Touch serial cable

...lot's of questions today...

Yet another project that requires connecting to these devices via the serial port available through the interface connector. In searching the 'net I've seen cables sold for nearly $40. I've also seen raw connectors. What I'd like to find is a source with good pricing for quantities in the hundreds per purchase.

I also saw something about Apple having some sort of a licensing requirement to interface to these devices in any way at all. Is this true? There was a recent online article that described a proprietary Apple-licensed chip that hardware manufacturers have to buy in order to be able to build such things as docking stations, etc. The article seemed to indicate that you can't even buy connectors if you don't sign a contract with Apple.

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
martin_05

Have a look around here.

To date the ID chip has been necessary in docking stations (for video output) and lately headphones (the new shuffle). However, there is a lot of other stuff that works fine without.

Best research that one at the horse's mouth. There is a lot of conflicting info about the capabilities of the iPhone out in internet land - and Apple keep changing the abilities with new firmware releases. They were pretty positive about third party hardware developers on the last keynote video. (BTW, it's well worth tracking down all the keynote video's from the inception of the iPhone and watching them ...)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

The last time I looked through Sparkfun, they had connector for the iphone.

Of course I say if Apple is the answer, it must be a funny question.

Reply to
miso