inverting switcher

I have +12 from a wart, and I need -1.2 and -5 to power some analog stuff and ECL.

I can do this

Problem is, I don't want to run Tina and there is no LT Spice model.

It may go into burp mode at my modest load currents, so I could get a lot of output ripple. It might want some lead compensation too. I guess I should breadboard it.

This will be noisy, so maybe I'll put the switchers on the bottom of the board, and I'd have the ground plane between them and the jitter-sensitive stuff.

We have MIC4690 in stock. That might be a better choice. Again, no model.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So get one that's sync rect with a force-CCM option.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:40:55 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

If it is a wallwart just reverse the + and - coming from it and use a normal circuit? :=)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sounds like low current

Why not a switched capacitor solution?

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I'd need maybe five wall warts. That might work.

Actually, there are very few negative-to-negative switching regulators around.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I need voltage conversion and fairly high currents, which charge pumps aren't very good for. And they tend to be spikey noisy.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Or use an AC wall wart.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

On a sunny day (Tue, 26 Nov 2019 07:09:43 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in :

No, I should have put it better, something like this:

Yes for more than one voltage not so easy.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 26 Nov 2019 15:49:03 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

oops zener in wrong legg

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have one board that has 16 different supply rails.

This little one I'm considering would have +12, +5, +4, -1.2, and -5. And one variable from 2.5 to 6 or so. From a 12 volt wart, probably. Both neg supplies would be 100 mA or so. Fast parts are power hogs.

In a box this size:

I'm thinking I have to put the power supplies on the bottom of the board. I can move the board up a bit and have a 0.2" gap below. Manufacturing doesn't mind parts on both sides.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Universal-input warts are nice, with an international plug adapter set. And AC would still be a problem, getting multiple voltages of both polarities.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

OK, I want a potted brick with one DC input, 12 or 24 volts, and 5 or so DC outputs. Each output should be programmable for voltage and polarity, either resistors or an SPI interface with nonvolatile memory. 5 or maybe 10 watts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why do you not want it? I am asking because I just discovered its existence through your post and now I wonder what catch may be there to prevent me from trying it out (not that I really need it, ltspice is just OK for me, too).

Dimiter

Dimiter_Popoff

LT3999, LT3439 or IR21531. All depends on your output power requirements, noise figure and budget.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

How much current? For ~$5(?10?) you can get three pin switchers that can go negative ~100mA.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold