Towards a 15 dollar spectrum analyzer

I was thinking on Sunday about how to make a Ferry Simple spectrum analyzer, not something with a teefee tuner just for one band, but for the whole band from 0 Hz to some GHz.

With these Ferry Vast transistors around, the idea is to use

2 10 GHz oscillators, and sweep one or both (in opposite ways in the last case), and then take that difference frequency (0 to say 2 GHz), and feed that into a second mixer against the signal to be measured, and low pass it... All that thinking, I realized for 'proof of concept', I can just as well take up the soldering iron and solder it haystack style, have to wait for my rubbitin frequency standard anyways, so, let's try this not with my expensive HEMPTs but with the bunch of BFR91 I have.

I can only say it works, of course it needs more work, but as far as proof of concept goes, OK. I used (with looking forward to the USSA having only one type of resistor and transistor and capacitor as much as what came up when grabbing in the heap of components that fell out when I emptied the plastic bag.

I used a simple one transistor 25 MHz (not exactly sine wave) oscillator as test input, here the spectrum of the fundamental yes scope x and y is reversed, but that helps when you are still asleep and oriented horizontally:

This is against the linear ramp that drives one of the oscillators to get a frequency sweep:

This is the setup, soldering goes faster than thinking about it, really!:

And here is the formula 1 circuit diagram with commie component values:

yes I was watching F1 around that time ;-)

The 1 GHz low pass is in the wiring so to speak, the little :256 prescaler in not drawn in this circuit diagram. (But it can give a clue as to just where the frequency of the oscillators is). I can see many harmonics of the 25 MHz with decreasing amplitude, all the way up to over 100MHz, with a reduced frequency sweep.

This still needs some work, but can come in handy to look at modulated carriers etc.

Do not do this at home? While watching TV? If you are a pedantic person? remember this is just proof of concept.

It needs a pre-amp, a RF peak detector, a log amp in the output, well all that takes only one opamp 1 diode, one transistor, so as this is a 10 $ project that makes it a 15 $ project, and the case and buttons and whatever else (maybe a PIC with a graphics display) would be more expensive. So far so good. Do not cry if you cannot get it working, not everybody can walk on their hands either. Especially not while asleep... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

case),

second mixer against the signal

up the soldering iron

anyways,

have.

transistor and capacitor

when I emptied the plastic bag.

test input,

frequency sweep:

up to over 100MHz,

carriers etc.

$ project that makes it a 15 $ project, and

would

either.

It seems that you have re-invented the music instrument Theremin (google for it).

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

There is one big problem with that: resolution will be swamped in the mutual noise of the oscillators. That probably wouldn't be an issue GHz frequencies, but it would be at near 0 Hz.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:05:14 -0600) it happened "Vladimir Vassilevsky" wrote in :

Yes, possible, but 25MHz comes out fine. The main problem I have now is non-linearity of the frequency versus drive voltage of this type of oscillator, curve describe here:

I think possibly that can be partly canceled by driving one oscillator up, and the other down (needs extra inverter, and also doubles the range). Looking a bit further I can make the slow scan with a PIC and PWM + lowpass, and use an ADC to grab the output, display on a small graphics LCD. That requires 2 pins, plus some to drive a graphics LCD, all that soft I already wrote once for other things, like PIC scope:
there are no speed issues, one can scan very slow, and any non-linearity can be fixed by a lookup table, only need to measure the curves once. And of course one can also simply measure the frequency and steer towards the next one. have done that too for this oscillator with a 256 prescaler:

Could be a useful instrument, no match for the 10,000$ big boxes, but good enough to look at some signals, most things I work with have amplitude of several mV or much more, so a simple input stage would do. The log function can be done in software too. On a 64 x 128 LCD there is not much 'resolution', maybe the noise will be less than a pixel in the linear mode...

128 MHz wide would also only be 1 pixel per MHz. The advantage of this system is that you can easily start the sweep at say 100MHz and end at 120 MHz, getting a good 'loupe' on a modulated signal. Only needs 2 controls (start and end). Bit of day dreaming, OK, but it seems to be materializing :-)
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:33:24 +0200) it happened Tauno Voipio wrote in :

I know about Theremin, even build one in the very long ago past, cannot play it however... Bit like Mexican dog.... This is different however in many aspects. The beating oscillator idea is very old, old RF signal oscillators used it to get good sweep range, not my invention or Theremin's:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Use PLL synthesizers.

Oh my gosh. PWMimg of VCO, you punk.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:42:04 -0600) it happened "Vladimir Vassilevsky" wrote in :

Well, there is nothing wrong with that :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well Guys have already hacked the USB TV tuners with Linux drivers as SAs. 25$ + shipping + software download.

But my design is 1-2 Ghz VCO, a 1 Ghz IF filter, a 1 Ghz low pass and a pair of mixers. The second one is driven by a 900 Mhz phase locked VCO module. That goes into the log amp from a dead analog cell phone.

Investment so far: 15$ for the 880 Mhz cell site filter I re-tuned for 10 Mhz bandwidth and 1000 Mhz center frequency. 15$ for the 900 Mhz to 2100 Mhz VCO from Mouser, 6$ on Ebay for the 1 Ghz low pass SMD devices. 6$ on Ebay for a 900 Mhz VCO with internal PLL chip. 2$ for the Atmel micro, and 1$ for the 82.2 Mhz IF strip with NE614 from a analog "Bag-Phone" from a thrift store... That gives me a 30 Khz wide final, good enough for my purposes.

Here is the dongle hack link set:

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:40:03 -0800 (PST)) it happened Owen Roberts wrote in :

I am impressed. I am using Anti's Linux driver and patches with my Terratec Cynergy S2 USB HD sat reciever module...

Yes, many sat tuners also simply output 8 bits data..., but as I/Q? no normally just transport stream I think. Seems Realtek saved on a decoder chip...? LOL I will get one, cannot beat this for convenience, frequenct range is just what I need too. I have several other DVB-T units, Philips chips IIRC (not sure), so the trick will not work with those.

Thank you for a cool idea, I will have to study this a bit more and look for a cheap source for the Realtek USB-DVB-T. Probably will get a Terratec, as I already have that one for satellite, and its quality is reasonable.

I am deeply impressed, at least mentioning my simple efforts here got me this link:-)

Ah, upconverter also uses nice balanced mixer :-)

Seen my dish positioner software?

Hey, thanks a lot, now there is something for the winter period to play with :-)

PS I have had big shit problem with the Terratec DVB-S-HD connected to an USB3 port on my new Samsung laptop in Linux in 64 bit mode. Dunno if it is the Linux USB drivers or a bad chipset. It also killed some expensive 16GB USB sticks. (one I could bring back to life on an old PC, the other is no longer recognized as a USB device...) So maybe be careful with USB 3. The Terratec works 100% OK on USB2 now here on a normal 64 bit PC in 32 bit more. Only use it to record / watch satellite.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Your welcome.

Linux is not my strong point. If you find a windoze spectrum hack for the receiver dongle let me know...

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts