Intermediate Frequency choices

You need to go back and read your basic electronics text. Or read it for the first time.

If you have a decent public library that's still on the Dewey Decimal system, it'll be around 621.*.

Do you know what "image frequency" is?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Indeed. It's generally easier to write a program, validate it, and run it once than it is do do the work on paper once.

(You can also do it graphically, which does a nice job of showing where the spurs are going to end up in the final product).

My only point is that having an intermod program isn't magic; it took me more work to fling together the spreadsheet that estimates my quarterly taxes than it would take to make an intermod-predicting program.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:57:04 -0700, ssylee wrote: (top posting fixed)

Well, is it easier to build a 500Hz wide filter at an IF of 455kHz or

75MHz?

And if your IF is 455kHz where's the image frequency for an RF of 2MHz? What if your IF is 75MHz?

Answer those questions, and you're going to be a lot closer to understanding the IF frequency tradeoffs.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

--- Yup. In the superheterodyne case, where the LO is higher than the carrier, the image lies at fC + 2IF while in the subheterodyne, where the LO is lower than the carrier, it lies at fC - 2IF.

I described the superheterodyne case and showed why your description of the location of the image for both the superheterodyne and subheterodyne cases was

**Complete and TOTAL INSANITY !!!

--- ???

---

--- Typo.... Rrriiggghhhttt!!!

---

--- Naturally, now that you've learned the trick, it was a typo.

Before that, it was an *****ERROR*****

Reply to
John Fields

Agreed. Especially since there are all those nice performance measurements in the Mini-Circuits catalogue to check it against.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

A high unloaded Q and a low (heavily) loaded Q is a good thing, since this does not cause excessive losses and hence bad noise figures at least at frequencies, at which the noise figure is of any importance (say above 2 MHz).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Yes. My mind is usually thinking of active filters, which is not the case in IF stages.

Reply to
miso

=A0you

lar

Mr. Allison, it is time for your enema.

Reply to
miso

"John Fields"

** Insane crapology.

Go drop dead - you stinking pile of psychotic autistic shit !!!

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Don't forget double or triple conversion.

Reply to
JosephKK

might one

would

some

given

(ability

frequency

pre-

mixer=92s RF

frequency."

understand?

Was the L-Band stuff on chip of off chip?

Reply to
JosephKK

one

lity

ency

s RF

"

understand?

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Garmn -> GRMN - Global Risk Management Network?

Reply to
Daniel

understand?

Straight into a mixer, no RF gain. ...Jim Thompson

                           LOSE the WUSS
                          BRING BACK BUSH

Not my understanding of the term "superheterodyne".

Superheterodyne - abbreviation of "Supersonic Heterodyne", ie. A heterodyning system where the resultant "beat" frequency is supersonic, that is above the audible range.

I've never heard the term "subheterodyne".

IME, the cases where the LO lies above or below the carrier frequency and the IF is supersonic are *both* "superheterodyne*.

As an aside, it used to be a common practice with some double conversion mobile receivers, to choose to crystal the second LO either above or below the first IF to avoid birdies on some channels.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse